The airplane that did the most to turn the tide of the war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

US M3 light, M3 medium and M4 medium tanks were a major part of the British / Commonwealth tank forces at El Alamein, and the M4 in particular was the tip of the spear. Detailed breakdown of the TO & E isn't hard to find.

As is typical here you seem to have gone off on a tangent about something I never wrote and then made an assumption & really ran with it.

I never said anything about miniaitures games.

You can really see how this plays out in more realistic tabletop or even computer war games simulating tank battles in this era.

Well, it seems you are correct. But the distinction between a tabletop game and miniatures game is small one. Just about all of the rules or ratings for machine guns in these games that I have seen very from slightly screwed up to very screwed up. A lot of times in the interest of making things simple for playability.

I will take the rest of the tank gunnery stuff to a different thread.

From the aircraft thread "aircraft that did the most.......... tank guns.

The only point I was making was that certain games can give you a sense of what the problem was actually like - I never said nor did I even imply this was the source of my knowledge on this.

The problem in question being very well known, I was not taking an outlier position on the issue - the 2 pounder and 6 pounder guns lack of HE ammo, and the relative paucity of 'CS" tanks and the ineffective short howitzer's lack of HEAT option (very rare in this respect for AFV's of this time period) all meant that the British tank force was severely lacking and were suffering as a result in action against the Germans. The tide changed with the arrival of the US made tanks, whether by lend lease or purchase with gold bars makes no difference to me as I'm not even talking about that side of the discussion. The Americans and British / Commonwealth forces were working together as a common cause and every effective tank or airplane the British got from the US - whether via direct purchase, taken over from France or Russia, or via Lend Lease, was a good thing in my opinion.

As for mounting the 75mm from the Sherman on a cruiser tank - again, this is something I didn't actually say. There is a long way from a 600 fps howitzer with a range of 2,000 yards with no armor piercing capability vs. an 1,800 - 2,000 fps gun still able to penetrate 30mm of armor at 3,000 meters. Even something like the short barreled (75mm x 24) German KwK 37 gun would have been an improvement. A turret redesign wasn't out of the question. In the end of course they did both recognize and solve this problem, they bored put a 6 pounder, put on a new breach and made a 75mm out of it which they put on the Cromwell and the Churchill among other tanks. So it obviously wasn't an unsolvable problem.

Most howitzer armed AFV's by 1942 did have a heat shell or some kind of AP shell by the way. It had become ubiquitous even for towed artillery to have some.

You in my opinion are reflecting your own ignorance here as well as your tendency to start an argument where you don't actually have one to make. I'm not in the least "ignorant" about WW2 or WW2 tanks in particular, especially in North Africa.

A totally ridiculous statement. The war might have gone on longer and been more costly but the Japanese had 0.0 chance of winning the war unless the US simply quit. The US could out build tha Japanese by over a factor of 10 to 1.

冗談を言うことはできませんか。

I was kidding about speaking Japanese. But I do believe that a major defeat at Midway would have been a nightmare for the US. I wouldn't rule out the capture of the Hawaiian Islands.

And there is more to winning a war than production and logistics. How much did we out build Vietnam by?

A more accurate comment would be

Only the SBD could have sunk four Japanese carriers, no other dive bomber available to the Allies would have sunk all four.
Only the SBD could fight it's way through the defending fighters with sufficient aircraft surviving to sink ships and return with their aircrews (see above).

Getting through the CAP is part of it, hitting the target is part, getting back with a living aircrew is another part. Throughout this discussion I have maintained that the reason the SBD was so important was that due to it's high level of surviveability and availability and continued effectiveness in the Solomon Islands and New Guinea campaigns is really what set it apart from it's closest competitors - the D3A and B5N. The D3A and B5N were capable of winning a single Strategic Victory - see Pearl Harbor. But in a sustained naval campaign, with the need to win Strategic and Operational victories by sinking Capital ships and transports, and also do things like bomb airfields, they did not rise to the occasion.

The Vindicator looks kind of similar visually, I'll give you that. But it's a superficial comparison. You are showing your ignorance.

The biggest problem is indeed the range - the Vindicator had half of the range of the SBD, that alone would have precluded a Midway victory. But it's not the only problem. The Vidicator had an 850 hp engine vs. 1,000 (later 1,200) on the SBD, and it was widely considered underpowered. It was not well protected by armor etc., apparently had issues with bombing accuracy and was very poorly armed, offensive firepower consisting of one .30 cal mg in the outer wing. This is a major difference from two 12.7mm HMG in the nose.

But the biggest issues were intangible ones, the ones hard to measure - the crews didn't like or trust it. In the few short months it was in service, it earned nicknames like 'Vought Vibrator' (from the US Marines) and in British service where it was designated as the Chesepeake, it was known to crews as the "Cheesecake". This is why it was so quickly rotated out of service by everyone who used it.

What precisely made the SBD such an accurate dive bomber that sank so many enemy ships, and so comparatively effective in Air to Air combat that it came out of the war with the only positive air to air victory claim to loss ratio of any Allied bomber. In part it boils down to maneuverability and handling. To exploit hard turns and wild skids, the pilot has to trust the plane sufficiently to put it through it's paces. The underpowered, short-legged, barely armed Vought 'Vibrator' couldn't survive the brutal environment of Naval combat in the South Pacific in 1942.

Nor could something like a Swordfish for that matter.

True but in the context of Midway what mattered was getting those hits on the japanese carriers, anything else was gravy.

The Vindicator looks kind of similar visually, I'll give you that. But it's a superficial comparison. You are showing your ignorance.

showing my ignorance............really?????

The Vindicator SB2U-2s (the one Wiki gives data for) was built in 1938 ( 28) and 1939 (40) and entered service before the Northrop BT-1 (which was transformed into the Dauntless )
so one would expect lower performance. The range listed in Wiki is questionable in that it doesn't mention fuel or bomb load.

Then we have the SB2U-3 which is a bit different. From the Vought Heritage website.

" To meet this requirement for a long-range capability, Vought offered the Marine Corps a new variant of the SB2U with increased fuel capacity. On September 25, 1939, the proposal was accepted and Vought received a contract for 57 aircraft under the designation SB2U3. "

" The changes included: an increase in the span of the horizontal stabilizers from 13 feet 4 inches to 15 feet 2 1/16 inches, a substantially increased internal fuel supply, provisions for four forward-firing .50-caliber machine guns, and a .50caliber machine gun for the observer.
The engine was changed from the 825-horsepower Pratt & Whitney R-1535-96 to the 825-horsepower Pratt & Whitney R-1535-02. These changes resulted in an increase of some 921 pounds in the aircraft's empty weight. The improvements made to the basic airplane did little or nothing to improve its performance; therefore the increased weight of fuel caused the SB2U-3's performance to suffer."

and
" The increased fuel capacity was achieved by increasing the main fuel tank capacity and adding three additional tanks to the wing center section. These tanks were unprotected and would later prove to be a major problem in combat. The increased tankage plus a 50-gallon external auxiliary centerline tank gave the SB2U-3 a range of 2,640 miles (or a search radius of 1,320 miles) for a search and scout mission. When armed with a 1,000-pound bomb load the SB2U-3 had a combat radius of 560 miles for a dive bomb mission. "

I have my doubts about the four .50 cal guns in the wings.

for the British
"To meet British requirements the throttle arrangement was returned to the original design (forward to increase power). The Vought bomb displacement gear was reinstalled. The larger fuel tanks of the SB2U-3 were incorporated and armor protection for the crew and fuel tanks was provided. Also, the forward-firing armament was increased to four wing mounted .30-caliber machine guns instead of the single gun used on the SB2U-2. The fence-type wing dive brakes were deleted. Installation of a British tail hook was considered, but this is not known to have actually occurred. It is believed all V-156-B1's retained the U.S. Navy tail hook. "
and

"Tests soon revealed that the added weight of fuel, armor and armament made the takeoff run (some 1,700 feet) far too long for carrier operations from British aircraft carriers. "

and finally the "what if" Vought company demonstrator re-engined with a P & W R-1830 engine

According to P & W records the engine was an S3C4-G rated at 1200hp for take-off, 1200hp at 4900ft and 1050hp at 13,100ft.
Obviously a SB2U-4 (had they decided it was needed) would have much better capabilities than the SB2U-2 and -3.

Want to remind us again what the radius of an SBD-3 with even a 500lb was (not an SBD-5) ??????

The underpowered, short-legged, barely armed Vought 'Vibrator' couldn't survive the brutal environment of Naval combat in the South Pacific in 1942.

I am not saying the Vindicator would have been as good as the Dauntless but the Navy did have a path available to a better dive bomber than the 825-850hp Vindicator had they needed it. And that the claim that the navy would have been without any dive bombers needs to looked at very carefully.

Even if the four .50 cal in wings is bogus there is little doubt that the Vindicator could be fitted with four .30 cal guns in the wings, fitted with self-sealing tanks (at a reduction in range) and fitted with armor as the British planes had all that stuff. The V-167 also shows that a more powerful engine could be fitted to help offset the weight weight which was not done and was the main complaint.

Hi Shortround,

You're suspicions about the Vought site's explanations for the SB2U-3 are well founded - the company hired a contractor to research and prepare the site, and that contractor used erroneous secondary sources. In fact, the -3 could carry a fixed armament of 2 fifties or 2 thirties on the center section, and 1 thirty on each outer wing panel. (Any combination of weapons could be deleted to increase range as needed.) No Vindicator ever carried a flexible fifty - the gun wouldn't fit the aft cockpit, so only a single thirty was mounted.

The -3 wingspan was 1-3/8th inches shorter than the -1 or -2. This had nothing to do with a shortening of the parts and everything to do with a 2-degree increase in the dihedral of the outer wing panels.

Although the Vindicator is frequently described as old and obsolete by the time of Midway, the -3s were fairly new, with the last aircraft delivered in October 1941. Still, its performance left a great deal to be desired when pitted against the enemy's improved defenses.

Cheers,

Dana

Thank you. I would note that trying to use a 1938 engine (design) in 1942 is not going to end well. The R-1535 was never up rated much and most of P & W attention was rightly directed at the larger engines.
I have no idea how much the SB2U-3 was intended as a 'filler' aircraft, something to equip a few squadrons with while a better aircraft is developed (the SB2C). 57 planes ordered in 1939 is hardly a large amount. Or how much it was intended to keep Vought occupied (workforce intact) while they developed the F4U???

US M3 light, M3 medium and M4 medium tanks were a major part of the British / Commonwealth tank forces at El Alamein, and the M4 in particular was the tip of the spear. Detailed breakdown of the TO & E isn't hard to find.

They made up about 25% of the Commonwealth tank force...but the M4 was known as "the Ronson" to Commonwealth forces and "the Tommy Cooker" to the Germans. 'Fraid I'm struggling to understand how the British Commonwealth couldn't have won El Alamein without the M3s and M4s...and before anyone suggests that their tank force would be 25% smaller, I'm not sure that's a valid statement because it implies that the British Commonwealth had no other tanks anywhere that could have been used.

Bottom line here is that I'm still not seeing how the British Commonwealth would have lost the North African Campaign just because it lacked a few hundred M3s and M4s. 'Fraid that dog doesn't hunt for me.

Parsifal, I'm not saying you're wrong regarding American intentions. Assuming it is true, I think that it would have been folly for the Americans to try to take Guadalcanal if the Combined Fleet was intact in its pre-Midway state.

I'm not sure I buy that it was just 25% if you include M3 Stuart, M3 Lee (medium), M4 Medium, not to even mention the other AFV's like the M7 priest self propelled howitzer etc. I think the percentage is a bit higher.

According to the Wikipedia article of the El Alamein OOB, the front line armored forces broke down as follows:

British 2nd Armored Brigade had 92 x M4 Sherman, 68 x Crusader and 1 x Grant (161 tanks total)
British 8th Armored Brigade had 57 x M3 Grant, 45 x Crusader and 31 x Sherman (133 tanks total)
British 24th Armored Brigade had 93 x Sherman, 45 x Crusader, and 2 x Grant (140 tanks total)
British 4th Light Armored Brigade had 57 x M3 Stuart, 14 x Grant (71 tanks total) plus 9 armored cars
British 22nd Armored Brigade had 57 x M3 Grant, 50 x Crusader and 19 x M3 Stuart (126 tanks total)
British 9th Armored Brigade had 35 x M4 Sherman, 37 x M3 Grant, 46 x Crusader (118 Tanks)

Total is 749 tanks in the main force.

By my count that breaks down to a total of 256 x M4 Sherman, 168 x M3 Medium (Grant), 76 x M3 Stuart and 254 Crusaders.

Which is 500 American made tanks and 254 British made, or 66% American made tanks, not 25%.

If you add reserves there were also:

British 23rd Armored Brigade (Corps Reserve) had 186 x Valentine tanks (186 tanks) bringing the grand total up to 935

If you add that to the total it's 500 vs. 440 it's still 47% British made tanks, and I think there was a good reason those Valentines were in the reserve (they sucked).

So not only were the M3 and M4 mediums the majority of the tank force, they were by far the most effective tanks because they could knock out most of the German tanks and ground ordinance. The best British tank at the time was the Crusader which wasn't as good as a Sherman.

This is what Rommel said about the M3:

"Up to May of 1942, our tanks had in general been superior in quality to the corresponding British types. This was now no longer true, at least not to the same extent. "

And of course the M4 was far more capable. Yes it could brew up if hit by a powerful AP shell, but so could all the Cruiser tanks etc., the M4 had much better armor. The early M4 had 50mm sloped at 56 degrees which was effectively 90mm on the hull, and 76mm on the turret front.

The British did have other tanks, later they would bring in Churchill's which were pretty good in their own right but also had some limitations due to their very slow speed and infantry tank role. For main operations they would have still been using various types of 'Cruiser' tanks and they would have lost them at a much higher rate - probably too high to win battles like El Alamein which were fairly 'close run things' even with the extra help.

If you also removed Kittyhawk fighters and A-20, Baltimore, B-25 etc. bombers you would really be running up a steep hill. It's pretty widely acknowledged that the DAF played a major role at El Alamein and many later battles.

Unless you try really hard not to understand, this isn't too difficult to grasp. Almost all of the British and Commonwealth commanders involved right down to the men inside the M4 tanks and Kittyhawks etc., understood their significance to the overall effort.

I'm not suggesting they weren't significant...although I suspect it depends whether we're discussing First or Second El Alamein as the numbers probably changed between the 2 battles (I suspect my 25% is from the First El Alamein). I'm simply suggesting that the world (or, more specifically, the war) wouldn't have stopped had the lend-lease resources not been present. Again, from 1940 onwards Britain was out-producing Germany alone. There might have been a delay in when the Desert War was won but I don't think the outcome was changed significantly overall.

Again, this entire sub-thread drift points back to the post which claimed that, without lend-lease, the UK would have been dead in 1942 and the North Africa Campaign would have been lost. I simply don't think that's an accurate reflection of reality.

Parsifal, I'm not saying you're wrong regarding American intentions. Assuming it is true, I think that it would have been folly for the Americans to try to take Guadalcanal if the Combined Fleet was intact in its pre-Midway state.

Genuinely I cant see why you would say it was folly. Aircraft numbers are the primary determinant, followed closely by the logistic support. An extra 100 aircraft saved by not fighting midway is not going to make any difference. Having more carriers will add to the logistic nightmare the Japanese found themselves in. Classic overreach. Unless the Japanese could somehow secondf guess that the Americans were making a run for guadacanal, there is nothing the Japanese could have done. Guadacanal was the 'Bridge too far for the Japanese" occupied as a precursor to a move against Noumea, but failing utterly to appreciate the logisitic bankruptcy they had backed themselves into.

Midway had virtually no impact on the way things played out in the SWPac. . It is often portrayed that it did, but once you peel back the onion layers that position rapidly becomes unsustainable.

Had midway been lost, with heavy and one sided losses to the USN, the USN would not have been able to undertake WATCHTOER. Had the Japanese taken the island with few or no losses to air assetsw to either carrier fleet, , , my opinion is that WATCHTOWER would have been played out in the Central Pacific as the US fought to take bake the island and the Japanese found once again they had overstretched their supply lines.

Last edited:
Well you also have the who paid for what argument. I don't know how many of the M3s were paid for with British cash, we know how many they initially ordered but I don't how the contracts were (or were not ) amended.

One source says the 167 Grants at the Battle of Gazala May 27th 1942 were all paid for by the British.
So now we get into sticky arguments as to what was provided lend lease (given to but paid for later) and was produced in US factories but paid for by the British.

I think it would have been a significant delay, at least a year maybe two.

Production is important and the British had the advantage of the Empire and the fleet, But Germany also benefitted from Italian resources, labor and technical know how. Could the British have pulled off the invasion of Sicily and Italy alone? I have my doubts.

Then there is also the issue of quality vs. quantity. Britain had parity in the air with the Spitfire from 1940, they lost it for much of 1942 when the Fw 190 arrived but recovered it again by the end of the year with the Spit IX and VIII. They also had the excellent Mosquito bomber for pin point Operational strikes and the Beaufighter for (quite crucial) maritime bombing, key to that war in the Med for sure.

But with tanks they were lagging half a step behind, and the limited range of the Spitfire meant that they were struggling in terms of being able to drop bombs. Without Kittyhawks their best Tactical bomber would have been Hurricane fighter bombers, and they were really becoming quite vulnerable by the end of 1942.

I wouldn't go that far, certainly England wouldn't have been dead and with the Russians taking on the brunt of the German army, England would have survived and ultimately most likely prevailed... but 1942 would not have been the turning point it actually was.

One other thing I do notice though, is that British military kit kept improving at an accelerating rates while the German kit, once so innovative, was starting to plateau in the last couple of years of the war, 'super weapons' notwithstanding. In 1942 they still had an edge in tanks in North Africa and Russia, and in the air with their fighters. They also had things like radio controlled bombs and jets.

But by 1944 the edge is narrowing rapidly with the advent of the 17 pounder, the T-34 / 85, the SU -100 and 100mm D-10 gun, the JS -II and the 122mm D25-T ... and in the air, the Yak-3, the La 7, the Spit XIV and 22, the Tempest etc. (not even counting American made planes). So maybe England and Russia would have pulled ahead.

As for who paid for what, I really don't care. IMO we should have extended the Marshall Plan to England and not made them pay back any WW2 loans. Every bullet we gave them that went into a Nazi soldier was well worth the investment. After the War we left England in a pretty bad place and it took them a long time to recover. If you count military and civilian deaths they lost more people than we did and they did win the first all-important 'tipping point' battle in 1940 with their Spitfires, Hurricanes, radar and well organized defense networks. I'm very glad we don't live in a world where Nazi Germany won the war. It's dangerous enough as it is.

Can we please add the 2,000 locomotives and 17,000 railroad cars and just call it "rolling stock"? with the Liberty ship? ('cuz it don't help if you ain't where the fight is gonna be!)

Agree about locomotives. I just rate trucks higher because locomotives were supplied later - from end 1943. And the largest batch of 1944 probably did not start to arrive to Vladivostok before August 1944.

All this says is that in theory they could / might have upgraded the Vindicator with more guns, a bigger engine, more fuel tanks, self sealing fuel tanks, armor and different dive brakes, and maybe ultimately put it all together into some new plane in which all these components worked in sync to create a world beater like the SBD.

But they didn't - adding a bunch of fuel tanks and guns to that plane with an 850 hp engine isn't going to get anywhere and that is still without self sealing tanks. Which is no doubt why it was quickly retired in spite of appearing in epic Hollywood films.

It's also worth pointing out, putting the right amount of horsepower and guns into an airframe is not in and of itself sufficient to make a functional combat aircraft that can do the job - see the Typhoon, the Bf 110, the He 177, the Firefly, and perhaps most pertinent - the SB2C. On paper it looked great. In action, at least for the first year or so it was flying, it was a dog.

The fact that it proved to be so difficult to replace the SBD with a new plane that didn't see it's combat debut until 1943 to me underscores the challenge they would have had making a better or even 'as good' dive bomber that was supposed to be ready in 1941 or 1942.

But then we have to try to calculate how many T-34-85 and other armour could be produced without lend lease machinery and materials and how long VVS fighters could stay in the air without US fuel. And Red Army without US trucks... Looks like WWI style trench warfare in the East in 1944...

Yeah another good point. Quantifying the precise level of importance of lend lease (etc.) to Russia, both from the US and from the UK, is a bit trickier for me because I haven't read quite as much about the Russian Front. Certainly their production was ramping up too for everything, and troops could ride on tanks but you needed a way to get fuel to the front line and to produce enough fuel to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread