The airplane that did the most to turn the tide of the war.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I do think the P-40 and P-39 were pretty important for Russia in 1942 and 43 (especially the P-39) and a little earlier the Hurricane seems to have been important as well -even if they didn't love it, as did the A-20 for the Baltic campaigns.

I would agree that Britain really got the short end of the stick once the war was over. They did there share and then some.
When it was over they were left holding the bag........a bag of debt. The U.S. should have written off a good portion if not all that debt in my opinion.

Resp:
In the book "A Man Called Intrepid" by arthor Stephenson (or Stevenson), explains why England needed the US . . .their production capabilities and their resources . . . among other things like food, etc.. This was long before America could send troops. Allowing the US to produce the Merlin engines for the RAF's aircraft, such as the Lancaster, etc.. I am sure someone will correct me or can add the number and type of British aircraft which used the Packard built Merlin.
I would like to know which British aircraft these engines were used.

The Lancaster B Mk III was powered by Packard Merlins but was otherwise identical to the B Mk I. Most of the approx. 3,000 B Mk IIIs were produced at the Avro Newton Heath factory near Manchester.

Packard Merlins did power some Mosquitos but, I believe, only the B Mk VII (only 25 built) and B Mk XX/25 (approx. 400 built) all of which were built in Canada and, AFAIK, did not see combat overseas.

Some Spitfire Mk XVIs were also, I believe, powered by Packard Merlins.

Spitfire 22s were post WW2 Europe. There was a squadron of Spitfire 21s in Jan '45.
production page 085

Did not even consider transports. The Germans had way too few and lost there more distant deployments like Africa and Russia. Interesting choice C54 was way too late in the game to make a difference.

In addition to the above British types, there were also the P-51 (obviously) and the P-40K.

Resp:
I see where the British carrier 'Illustrious,' that was seriously damaged by German bombers in Feb 1941, close to Malta . . . sailed to the United States for repairs.

HMS Delhi, refitted Brooklyn Navy Yard May 1941 to Dec 1941.
View attachment 530894
FYI:
I remember when the HMS Birmingham, a Royal Navy destroyer put into Norfolk, VA for repairs to its stern; for damage received during a storm in the Atlantic. I boarded her as a young LT, and was given tour, which ended with a glass of beer. I forget when it was commissioned, but was told it was the oldest destroyer in the fleet at that time.

HMS Birmingham was a Southhampton class light cruiser.

Launched: 1 September 1936
Commissioned: 18 November 1937
Fate: Broken up in 1960

The Mosquito XXs and 25s most certainly saw combat overseas. Read the following:
The Wartime Diaries of a Mosquito Navigator - Part 1 - The People's Mosquito
Also there were 245 XXs and 400 25s built
1054 Mark XVI Spitfires were built.

Users who are viewing this thread