The Dollie Wontcha and General Anderson

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Reevesfarm

Recruit
May 24, 2014
Alabama
By an absolute fluke I discovered my Grandfather's name mentioned in a link to the 416th Bombardment Group History pdf. Imagine my surprise and delight to see Lt. C O Reeves and his friend Lt Middlebrooks mentioned when they showed up to train on the A-26. Little did I know that few pages later I would learn a story my Grandfather never shared with us...the one where he burned down the Ops building in under 15 minutes (pg 149) :)

I wanted to know more and one of my Aunts has already begun sending me things...like this amazing picture:
with remarks.jpeg

The back of this pic:
Plane photo remarks.jpeg

I was thrilled to see General Anderson in this because I felt that it would be so much easier to track the movements of a General than those of a Lt and later Captain.

I am told that this is his plane:
Olin's Plane.jpg

And this:
Olin and buds.jpeg

At this time my only info is that he trained in Mississippi, was in England and France, was a Navigator Bombardier, possible a Flight Instructor at Barksdale and his tombstone says:

Columbus Olin Reeves
Birth: Jul. 21, 1918
Death: May 28, 1992

Captain, 9th U.S.A.A. Corps
391st Bomb Group
World War II

There are more pictures, and TONS of rumors...

Would love to know if there are any clues one the planes that might help me search. I can see the tail number in the pic in flight 322527....Any comments, suggestions or info would WONDERFUL! Thanks!

I have since traced the tail number of the plane in flight and discovered that it was involved in a 'cbl" crashed belly landing, May 25th 1945, with my Grandfather's friend listed as pilot...it also listed them as part of the 374th BS which was something else I didn't know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back