The first production aircraft with wingtip tanks?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am sure I have read that the Shooting Star was faster with tip tanks than without.

Not sure about the P-80, but the T-33 was prohibited from aerobatics when there was fuel in the tip tanks. I'd assume the P-80 was similar due to similar design. It was also prohibited from negative-g maneuvers because the engine would quit due to lack of an inverted fuel system.

Normal procedures called for taking off on mains and then switching to tip tanks until they were dry before returning to mains.

the T-33 was prohibited from aerobatics when there was fuel in the tip tanks. I
All aerobatics, or just rolling maneuvers? I have this memory from the mists of time of reading that it was a polar moment, not a wing stress issue, as long as tip quantities were balanced.

Oh, I've done a roll in a T-33A and I'm sure there must have been fuel in the tip tanks. Take a look at the drawing provided with the old Hawk T-33A model kit (will be attached later). Without those tip tanks there ain't a lotta gas on board.

T-33A-Instructions-1sm.jpg

Last edited:
There is no nosewheel steering as such; you tap the brakes to try to get the nosewheel to point in the direction you want to go and it responds based on whether it likes your curses.
Just like the flying club's T34. Designed to expand your vocabulary.

EDIT: PS; Our early production 1900s came with a very touchy, sensitive pneumatic nosewheel steering system that made taxiing a captains-only operation, and sometimes led to embarrassing excursions from taxiway centerline. Eventually Beech came out with an STC allowing removal of the steering system and letting the nosewheel free caster while Beech developed a new manual steering system.
Suddenly, steering became easy and FOs were allowed to taxi. The free castering steering was so intuitive and easy; a gentle nudge on the appropriate brake and a touch of asymmetric thrust, and it would go right where you want. And it actually extended shimmy damper service life. Maintenance was real quick to yank out the touchy old system and when the time came, took their sweet time putting in the new manual steering system Beech eventually came out with. The new manual system steered like a Mack truck with no power steering, and was wildly unpopular with us pilots.

Last edited:
I am sure I have read that the Shooting Star was faster with tip tanks than without.

The T-33A (or TF-80C as it was first known) was faster than the F-80 because the extended length (about 2 ft ahead of the wing and another 2 ft aft of the wing) gave it better aerodynamics. Aside from that, it probably had a later version of the J-33.

Later F-80's were modified to have the T-33 style centerline tip tanks.

I recall reading in the USAF Safety Magazine about having to blow the tip tanks off. They were departing from Mountain Home AFB and the gust front from a storm caught them from behind while they were still on the takeoff roll. Suddenly their airspeed dropped and they realized they were not going to make it off. So they blew the tip tanks and got off that way.

What is the advantage of wing tip tanks?, seems weird to put fuel tanks as far away from the engine as possible.

If even semi-well designed, no net drag and quite a bit of bending moment relief. Also, putting the tanks there puts then as far away from the pilot as possible.

For many early jet fighters, the tip tanks were there because their engines were both bulky and not very efficient; they needed all the fuel volume they could manage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back