The first two P-40 victories over the Ki-43. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin Pinckney was well-regarded by his mates on 67 Sqn. One of the other pilots referred to him as "Pinckers the Unflappable." His death in late January 1942 was keenly felt by all who knew him. Sadly, he has no known grave. His name appears on the Singapore Memorial.

Colin Pinckney was well-regarded by his mates on 67 Sqn. One of the other pilots referred to him as "Pinckers the Unflappable." His death in late January 1942 was keenly felt by all who knew him. Sadly, he has no known grave. His name appears on the Singapore Memorial.
In 2018 I flew to Singapore KL. on the flight from Singapore to KL it's relatively low altitude and looking at the window at the mountainous forests below I thought what it must have looked like for those Buffalo, Blenheim and Hudson pilots. I strongly recommend a visit to Singapore's Battle Box and Fort Siloso.

In 2018 I flew to Singapore KL. on the flight from Singapore to KL it's relatively low altitude and looking at the window at the mountainous forests below I thought what it must have looked like for those Buffalo, Blenheim and Hudson pilots. I strongly recommend a visit to Singapore's Battle Box and Fort Siloso.

Singapore and Malaysia have been on my bucket list of places I MUST visit before I die for the past 20 years or more. One day I'll get there!!!

Singapore and Malaysia have been on my bucket list of places I MUST visit before I die for the past 20 years or more. One day I'll get there!!!
I went for work (export sales of agricultural products) on a trip to Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Singapore, KL, Kaohsiung and Taipei. The train between the latter two reached over 280 kph and you could have built a house of cards on the table in front of you, it was that smooth. In Hong Kong I spent a couple of hours at the cemetery visiting the Canadian, British and other CW graves - it's not all grunts either, bu includes many officers, such as Brigadier John Lawson, the highest-ranking Canadian soldier KIA in WW2.

At Singapore there's not a lot left of its WW2 past. Fort Siloso and the Battle Box are pretty much it. The Johore Battery for example is a replica site, mostly hidden by the airport and worth skipping. In Hong Kong I strongly recommend a visit to the Museum of Coastal Defence. This was the site of one of the last stands against the Japanese and you can see the bullet and shrapnel holes in the walls and tunnels. In Singapore attended a wonderful service at St Andrew's Cathedral and the priest in his sermon reminded us that in this very spot the Japanese bayoneted wounded soldiers who had taken refuge.

On these business or vacation trips I always make time to visit the former British colonial military sites. I've been to Fort St. Catherine in Bermuda and Brimstone Hill Fortress in St. Kitts. Here in Canada I've visited nearly every fort I can easily reach, including Citadel Hill in Nova Scotia, Quebec Citadel, Fort Henry, ON, Fort George, ON, Fort Erie, ON, Fort Beauséjour, NB, Fort Rodd Hill, BC and of course here in Toronto where I live, Fort York. Three on my yet to do bucket list include, Fort Malden, ON, Fort Wellington, ON and most of all, Fort Prince of Wales in Manitoba, located on the same latitude as John o' Groats in Scotland and perhaps the British Empire's most northern fort.

Anyway, I can go on, lol. But to bring us back to the P-40..... Curtiss Kittyhawk I | Ingenium The P-40 operated nearby (by our Canadian standards) or 1,007 km from Fort Prince of Wales, serving with No. 2 Training Command at Winnipeg in June 1945. Some good pics of the P-40 flying over central and western Canada here Harold A. Skaarup Web page

Flying over the Rockies in BC and Alberta. Looks like the sixth aircraft forgot something at base and is going back.

Curtiss-P-40-Kittyhawks-over-the-Rockies--ca-1942.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm....that image looks like it was photoshopped 1940's style. The lead aircraft, in particular, looks like it's been stuck onto the snow-capped mountain background.

Hmmm....that image looks like it was photoshopped 1940's style. The lead aircraft, in particular, looks like it's been stuck onto the snow-capped mountain background.
I wonder if the photo is legit but that some 1940/50s artist tried to "improve it". It definitely looks doctored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back