the flaw of the dornier do 335 design?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aurelien wolff

Airman 1st Class
Sep 20, 2018
Hello I want to know what were the flaw of this aircraft design(sorry for my english).

On was insufficient yaw stability, which resulted in snaking in level flight. Not enough vertical fin area.

I dont realy agree that a single weapon could allow germany to win ww2 or have any impact,especially when it's a fighter plane propeller and when the jet are coming .

I've heard about that, but what is the exact reason of overheat? I think the heat removal of the liquid-cooled engine should mainly rely on coolant radiator?

A lot (never say all) of the liquid cooled engines depended on air flow through the cowl to a greater or lesser extent. Often it was to cool accessories (generators, pumps. etc) and sometimes cool air was directed to the spark plugs or magnetos. Some cold air flowing over the supercharger would come in handy to0. Few engines aside from the two stage Merlins/Griffons had any sort of cooling for the supercharger itself (different from intercooler) aside from ambient air flowing over them. The French Hispano superchargers were supposed to get so hot they blistered the paint on the supercharger.

depending on the coolant radiator and coolant passages in the engine cylinder block/heads to take of all the cooling needs wasn't going to work to well.

Hello I want to know what were the flaw of this aircraft design(sorry for my english).

Hello sgeorges4,
My belief is that the Dornier 335 suffered from two problems.
First was that the design used TWO engines.
Engines are expensive to produce and one Do 335 wasn't the equal of two conventional fighter aircraft.
Second was that it was a very large aircraft with all the expected issues of maneuverability and visibility.

- Ivan.

Hello sgeorges4,

Second was that it was a very large aircraft with all the expected issues of maneuverability and visibility.

- Ivan.

The Dornier was always one of my favorites, ever since I read the article in Wings/Airpower in an issue around 1976. The article was about the aircraft in the Smithsonian collection going back to Germany for restoration and was on loan for several years after. The photos do make the aircraft look large. The plane is now back in the US at the Udvar Hazy. When I saw it in person , it surprised me how it doesn't look at large in real life, more in line with a big fighter like the P-47 or F-4U.

Couple of faults come to mind: With the high inertia resulting from engines at each end the unexplored (at the time) issue of roll coupling and resulting possibilities of unrecoverable departures from controlled flight is one. Another is getting out of the thing with the aft prop. Pushers have devised various work arounds to this problem, though not successfully in a production aircraft to my knowledge. Twice as many engines to have hit or fail. In the late war environment a one legged Pfiel headed anywhere likely would not get far. Fuel consumption, a real issue in the late war environment as well.

Another is getting out of the thing with the aft prop. Pushers have devised various work arounds to this problem, though not successfully in a production aircraft to my knowledge. Twice as many engines to have hit or fail. In the late war environment a one legged Pfiel headed anywhere likely would not get far. Fuel consumption, a real issue in the late war environment as well.

The Do 335 had an ejection seat and a system for detaching the rear propeller.

Another fault with the Do 335 was that the engines were made by slave labour, the quality of which could affect their reliability.

An RAF test pilot died testing a Do 335 when a spark plug was ejected from the head of the rear engine, causing a fire.

The Dornier was always one of my favorites, ever since I read the article in Wings/Airpower in an issue around 1976. The article was about the aircraft in the Smithsonian collection going back to Germany for restoration and was on loan for several years after. The photos do make the aircraft look large. The plane is now back in the US at the Udvar Hazy. When I saw it in person , it surprised me how it doesn't look at large in real life, more in line with a big fighter like the P-47 or F-4U.

Hello pinehilljoe,
The Dornier 335 is also one of my favourites regardless of whether it made sense or not for a country fighting for its survival.
It is interesting that we have both seen the same thing and do not come to the same conclusion.
I haven't compared dimensions, but to me, the Dornier 335 looks much larger than the bubbletop P-47D that is sitting just a few feet away. Udvar Hazy is only about 30 miles from where I live and we have been there quite a few times since it opened. I try to visit the FW 190G that is there every time I am at the museum and the Do 335 and P-47D are both just a few feet away. The Corsair is a more difficult comparison since it is not at ground level but I know that it is very similar in size to the Thunderbolt.

Since I had a few minutes, I decided to put together a set of drawings of each to the same scale (10 Pixel == 1 foot).
There is no question the Dornier is larger but I suppose one could also argue that they don't appear that different in real life.
For a numeric comparison, the Do 335 is just over 13 feet longer and has 5 feet more Wing Span and about 100 square feet more Wing Area (according to Wikipedia).

- Ivan.
SizeCompare.jpg

Hello pinehilljoe,
The Dornier 335 is also one of my favourites regardless of whether it made sense or not for a country fighting for its survival.
It is interesting that we have both seen the same thing and do not come to the same conclusion.
I haven't compared dimensions, but to me, the Dornier 335 looks much larger than the bubbletop P-47D that is sitting just a few feet away. Udvar Hazy is only about 30 miles from where I live and we have been there quite a few times since it opened. I try to visit the FW 190G that is there every time I am at the museum and the Do 335 and P-47D are both just a few feet away. The Corsair is a more difficult comparison since it is not at ground level but I know that it is very similar in size to the Thunderbolt.

Since I had a few minutes, I decided to put together a set of drawings of each to the same scale (10 Pixel == 1 foot).
There is no question the Dornier is larger but I suppose one could also argue that they don't appear that different in real life.
For a numeric comparison, the Do 335 is just over 13 feet longer and has 5 feet more Wing Span and about 100 square feet more Wing Area (according to Wikipedia).

- Ivan.

Thanks Ivan. Maybe the tricycle undercarriage gives the 335 a larger look. The whole airframe is high off the ground. It is a big plane. I'm about 30 miles North of the Udvar Hazy. Its fun to go, and I still like the diversity of the Air and Space down town.

I stumbled on this site from Finland:

Dornier Do 335 "Pfeil"

I've heard about that, but what is the exact reason of overheat? I think the heat removal of the liquid-cooled engine should mainly rely on coolant radiator?
Many mid or rear engined types suffered from heat build-up because the cooling inlets could not be too large or else they created excessive drag. Engines mounted to the front benefited from airflow across the engine and through the cowling where engines mounted to the rear did not.

Mid-engined types like the Yokosuka R2Y1, Bell P-39 and several pusher types, like the Bell YFM-1 all had experienced overheating problems.

Perhaps one of the few mid-engined types that did not have an overheating issue was the Piaggio P.119, which was interestingly enough, powered by a radial engine. Unfortunately, the Italians signed an armistice before the P.119 could be developed further.

Another is getting out of the thing with the aft prop.

A quote from Eric Brown in Wings of the Luftwaffe;

"Particularly fascinating was the story that when two prototypes came to grief the bodies of their pilots were found to be devoid of arms. The story, recounted to me by a German pilot, alleged that the loss of the upper limbs had resulted when the unfortunate victims had gripped two inclined levers at cockpit sill level and pulled them aft to activate the hood jettison system. This action released the hood effectvely, but since the levers were attached to the hood, a firm grip meant, so the story went, that the hands and arms were wrenched off with the rapidly departing canopy. This story made something of an impression on me, and I clambered into the cockpit filled with curiosity. Sure enough, the notorious hood jettison levers were there."

The Do 335 had an ejection seat and a system for detaching the rear propeller.
Just to elaborate on that, the propeller and horizontal stabilizer detached via explosive bolts.
When the Do335 (VG+PH) at the NASM was being restored 40 years ago, they discovered that the explosive bolts were still intact and active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back