The Learjet History (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

peteravia

Recruit
Nov 23, 2015
Hi there,
in case that you are interested in the 60 years history of the Learjet (production ceased in 2022) there is now a book published entitled "The Learjet History"
A retired US Professor stated:
"This book is an excellent addition to the literature dealing with aviation history. It covers the entire history of the Learjet, the company itself and the airplane itself, beginning with the initial concept, design process, manufacturing, and flight experience. The authors are engineers with a very close connection to the airplane, and therefore they speak with authority. Moreover, the writing style is easy to read, and each chapter is amply illustrated with photographs. To my knowledge, this book stands alone as a definitive history of the Learjet, a pioneering executive jet that was one of the first business airplanes to incorporate jet propulsion. I recommend this book to any reader interested in aviation history, engineering design of important aircraft, and who simply enjoys a good read. I found it a fascinating, educational, and very entertaining".

Attachments

• Springer Front Cover.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi there,
in case that you are interested in the 60 years history of the Learjet (production ceased in 2022) there is now a book published entitled "The Learjet History"
I wonder how many know that Learjet was a Canadian brand before production ceased. I swear, no matter how good a brand was before it was acquired, everything that Montreal firm touches turns to dust.

Last edited:
I wonder how many know that Learjet was a Canadian brand before production ceased. I swear, no matter how good a brand was before it was acquired, everything that Montreal firm touches turns to dust.
The termination of the Learjet line was actually a smart move as it competed with the Challenger and was not a big money maker and in the last year only 12 were sold. Boeing did the same thing with the 717 when they swallowed up McDonnell Douglas.

From the table of contents it looks like there is no discussion of the Learjet aftermarket mods: Raisbeck Mark 2 and Mark 4 stall improvement kits, Dee Howard XR drag cleanup, Avcon mods with extended tip tanks and aft delta fins, Raisbeck 30 and 60 series aft fuselage lockers and finally the Raisbeck ZR and ZR Lite. I worked on the lockers and was the creator of the ZR. We achieved an 11% drag reduction with the full ZR mod. The basic 20 and 30 series had some really severe aero interference between the nacelle and wing that we solved with a simple solution.

Attachments

• Learjet Product History.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
This is great. I worked at Dee Howard in San Antonio making thrust reversers for the -31 and -35 Lears in the '90's. Later, Nordam in Tulsa acquired the manufacturing side of Dee Howard and moved the operation to Oklahoma. I made the move myself and continued work in the electrical shop making switch harnesses, relay boxes and the T/R control panel. I was at Dee Howard when the Payne Stewart accident occurred. The Learjet was often maligned, but it set the stage for the bizjet model in the decades to come.

Watch for the website "learjethistory.com".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back