The New Junkers Aircraft Company

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Or would that be Fligerwerks?

Coming soon to a dealer near you!

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 17-37-58 junkers_broschuere_a4_quer_A50_EN_web.pdf.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 17-36-53 Junkers A50 Junior - Light Aircraft of the 1930s.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 17-36-18 Junkers A50 Junior - Light Aircraft of the 1930s.png

If Junkers is coming back, we don't want a corrugated skin thing with Great War undercarriage. We want a Stuka.

View attachment 741391
If we're going for nostalgia, why not go all out with Junker's WWI era J.I - it was one of the first dedicated ground attack types and incorporated quite a few innovations.

Plus it looked cool, too!

If we're going for nostalgia, why not go all out with Junker's WWI era J.I - it was one of the first dedicated ground attack types and incorporated quite a few innovations.
My thoughts as well, but:
1. Where would they get a suitable engine?
2. The New Junkers probably does not want to evoke too much of the Old Junkers. They probably will never bring out a commuter airliner that looks like a Ju88.

My thoughts as well, but:
1. Where would they get a suitable engine?
2. The New Junkers probably does not want to evoke too much of the Old Junkers. They probably will never bring out a commuter airliner that looks like a Ju88.

The A50 and F13 aren't using historically accurate engines either. The A50 in particular is using the quite modern Rotax engine which is very popular on small planes, and runs close to 6000 rpm at max.

As for a Ju 88 lookalike, sure, that's a no go both politically and practically. They are, however, working on a Ju 52, with the Red A03 diesel engines. Junkers shows new A60 two-seater and reveals JU-52 project :

The Nazis basically took over Junkers in terms of ownership. But they did not get control of Heinkel, which resulted in the company's inability to build jet engines and the Ju-88 nightfighter being preferred over the He-219.
The He280 was nearly two years ahead of the Me262.

It seems to me, that the political infighting and general f**kery going on within the RLM, was perhaps one of the greatest weapons the Allies had for the war effort.

Heinkel wanted to build its own jet engines but the Nazi Govt said they could not because they were not an Engine Company. So eventually they bought Hirth, just so they could say they were in engines.

In the USA, Lockheed wanted to build its own jet engines for its proposed jet fighter. But the US Govt said that no, they already had a full plate.

It is said that German weapons production lagged until the Allies blew up the procurement headquarters.

The tragedy of the He280, is that while it was intended to use the HeS30 engines, it was more than capable with the HeS8 engines (as troublesome as they were).

The RLM shut down Heinkel's HeS8 and HeS30 development in order to focus on the HeS011 engine, which pretty much killed any hope for the He280.

Add to that, the RLM viewing jets as a novelty until the war situation grew dire and lo and behold, jets suddenly became important.

The rlm didnt plan on a long war. It had no reason therefor to pump fast amounts of money in a project that would not pay divident very soon.
Do not forget Hitler was a cheapass. He knew very well Germany could not afford a war. Even plundered the pension funds. He wanted war but a very cheap one. And short.
One can see if remembering this more reason in some discissions and choises the Germans made.

They did however got laboures from occupied countries and the industrial capabilities of those. It is not they did nothing. But its bad propaganda to mobilize the homeland untill you really have to.
And the Luftwaffe was not very interested in high altitude performance until the B-17's showed up in mid-1942, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back