New From Hyundai

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Yeah, HYUNDAI, backing Supernal.

From Avweb:

"The V-tail S-A2 uses eight tilting motors mounted forward and aft of the wing on four pylons. All eight rotors are used for vertical lift with the front motors turning upward and the rear, equipped with higher-aspect-ratio blades, turning downward. All the power units rotate to a horizontal position for cruise flight, expected to yield cruise speeds of 125 mph at 1,500 feet. Current battery capacity is said to enable practical flight segments of up to 40 miles, typical of many regular helicopter missions, according to Supernal. The noise footprint is expected to be 65 dB on takeoff and landing and 45 dB in cruise."

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 19-09-34 Refined Version Of Hyundai-Backed eVTOL Makes Debut At CES S...png

Add it to the multitude of others that are similar. I will be interested to see how many make it to production/operation. I wish them all the best and like the technology but I just don't see the market developing as they hope.

I saw recently where one driver of an electric taxi in China refused to use power to heat the vehicle and provided blankets for the passengers. In the 1940's and earlier it used to be common for people to have "lap robes" in the car, basically blankets they could used to warm themselves while riding. Many cars back then did not have heaters. For electric aircraft we might very well be back to that, and as for pressurization, Forget It!

Add it to the multitude of others that are similar. I will be interested to see how many make it to production/operation. I wish them all the best and like the technology but I just don't see the market developing as they hope.

I completely agree. The public's rejection of electric cars should also be concerning to manufacturers of these types of aircraft too.

Most Americans still don't want an electric car — and many EV buyers end up going back to gas

Even as electric vehicles dominate headlines and hot new models hit the market, most Americans aren't interested in giving up gasoline.

In a recent poll conducted by Yahoo Finance and Ipsos, 57% of respondents said they were not likely to choose an EV when they buy their next car. (For the purposes of the study, EVs included fully electric cars and plug-in hybrids, which have a larger battery and more electric range than traditional hybrids.)

Of that majority, 36% said they were "not at all likely" to go electric, while 21% said they were "not too likely." Thirty-one percent of those surveyed said they were likely to buy an EV.

The biggest factors turning potential buyers off from EVs are the same worries that consistently pop up in these kinds of surveys: High vehicle cost, limited driving range, and insufficient charging infrastructure.

Why the public isn't buying electric cars

Outside of a house, a car is the most expensive purchase most of us will ever make. All the more reason to get sound advice when deciding which vehicle should be one's next. Yet while we are told with monotonous regularity, by both the UK government and the media, that the future of motoring is electric, drivers are buying neither this idea nor the vehicles themselves.

Wheels

The public's rejection of electric cars
If it is a taxi and they don't have to own it, then they won't care, especially if it saves money over taking a ride in a gasoline powered taxi.

I would not consider replacing my 1946 airplane with an new electric one, but I have to admit that for many of my flights a 30 min endurance limit would suffice, if barely.

I completely agree. The public's rejection of electric cars should also be concerning to manufacturers of these types of aircraft too.

Wheels
I don't see people rejecting electric cars en masse. Generally I see them accelerating in interest. That said we are still in early days with limited options though given that another 2yrs and I think a lot will change. There are a lot of producers planning on bringing out more models.

They've come a long way from the Pony my aunt bought in the mid-1980s.

Folks today do not remember that in a way, the failing British Leyland helped Hyundai get started into automobile production, when in 1974, George Turnbull, the former managing director of Austin and Morris at British Leyland in joined Hyundai.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz3zJORvntE

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back