Three or four quotes out of more than 50,000 combat reports and you come to a conclusion that Spitfire wasn't a good dogfighter? One can find very many more that say the exact opposite,
Cool. Let's hear those anecdotes. I have been looking for 30 straight years, and found nothing but the contrary in actual first hand accounts. And basically zero circle fighting. Brief turns yes, but even one full circle is rare, and by the time you get to two circles it usually ends badly for the Spit.
Yes there are those Russian Mk V and Mk IX turn times in the 18 second range, I'll admit, but altitude loss is stated in those tests, while the speed is not.
The only real world minimum radiuses I have ever seen for Spitfires were the Mark I: 1025 feet, Me-109E: 880 feet, Hurricane: 800 feet (all RAE tests) : Note how this tallies perfectly with the John Weir general statement concerning all 3.
The only other Spitfire radius I have ever seen were just 180s radiuses for the Mk XIV at 400 mph TAS: 1875 feet. P-51D 180 degrees at 400 mph: 1350 feet: Vastly superior (probably with flaps: They could stay down at small angles even at these speeds)...
It could be that this is one case where everyone is wrong, especially since most of the "four quotes" I posted are
general statements, in Clostermann's case after completing the RAF's mission record (425 if memory serves) and studying
thousands of gun camera films,
and giving wartime conferences to fellow pilots on Luftwaffe aircrafts (which I know of no other WWII pilots doing).
When the doctor takes your blood, does he take
all your blood?
Another example is even more illustrative: Up even to the 90s the ratings of a TV show are measured with a special "metering panel" attached to fewer than one thousand households for a country of 30 million. That was over a 10 000 to one ratio, with completely credible results for random tv watching behaviour... In the US today statistical sampling is at around 20 000 sets for 121 million homes.
That's a 6050 to one ratio. All staticians will tell you the Nielsen ratings are quite accurate (figures range up to 97%), even with a one in 6000 sample.
I have easily read over 500 if not more Spitfire combat encounters. None of them demonstrate the Spitfire can sustain multiple circles against FW-190s or Me-109s. I have seen nothing but vague general statements the Spitfire turns better (which was absolutely true at high altitudes, high speeds, and in the "stalling" snapshot trick I described), including a Johnny Johnson early war statement among them. Then after the War, in a 1946 article, he describes the FW-190A easily out-turning him in multiple circles...
Multiple circles is the key here, and what do you think happened between his early War statement and the 1946 article?
Statistically, especially with the lack of counter-examples, this is pretty much like taking a whole liter of blood...
and the Spitfire is renowned as an EXCELLENT dogfighter the world over. If you allowed your airspeed to get down to 200 mph unintentionally, you weren't going to last long in combat, no matter which side you were on. The Bf 109 was excellent below 200 mph and the stall speed was quite low. But, that wasn't the speed you were supposed to use for air combat.
Except that it was even lower than that. Karhila, a 32 kill Finn ace, recommended 160 mph as "optimal" for the Me-109G-6 with gondolas:
" When the enemy decreased power, I used to throttle back even more. In a high speed the turning radius is wider, using less speed I was able to out-turn him having a shorter turning radius. Then you got the deflection, unless the adversary did not spot me in time and for example banked below me.
250kmh seemed to be the optimal speed."
- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories.
To say 200 mph was not the appropriate circle fighting speed speed you have to ignore basically all WWII circle fighting accounts. Turn fighting that went into circle fighting always ended there (or lower).
If you were down low at 200 mph, the gunners on the ground had an easy target. If you were in combat against airplanes, then everyone, even bombers, could disengage and avoid contact with you.
You have to understand circle fighting: Circle fighting not only broke overtaking attacks to the point a single Oscar could survive passes by 16 P-38s for thirty minutes, it also "trapped" your target.
Here's a little engraved baseplate I did to illustrate the point:
"Never reverse your turn."
-Maj. Robert Elder, 24 March 1945 (P-51D): "With this top cover to encourage me, I managed
to out-turn another FW-190, and, just as I was about 30 degrees angle off,
this Jerry reversed
his turn (they are stupid that way) and I latched on to his tail at about 100 yards range. I got
strikes all over the plane and he caught fire in the air and crashed."
-Capt. Glendon V. Davis, March 8 1944 (P-51B): "I turned into him and he (lone FW-190A)
swung around, almost getting on the tail of Lt. Smith, following me. I called to him to put down
flaps and turn with him, as I had 20 degrees myself. We went around five or six times with the
issue very much in doubt. I could not quite get enough deflection to nail him, though I was
firing short bursts trying to get him to roll out, which he was too smart to do."
Osprey "VIII Fighter Command at War, -Long Reach-", P. 31 (On the tactical significance
of using the roll rate in combat, Lt. Col. H. C. Craig):
"
Once a turn is started in an engagement, it is of the most importance, and safety,
to remember
to NEVER reverse your turn.
It has been my observation that a great majority of the
victories of my unit were made good when the Hun reversed the turn."
Now you know why they can't "disengage and avoid contact with you"... And yes, turning at 190 mph is basically all the P-47 did in Europe, at least the Razorback...
Again, the term "circle fight isn't used. The term is dogfighting. Everyone in here knows what you mean, but "circle fighting" tags you as likely a rookie in talking about air combat. Just FYI and no more mention of it.
On the contrary I decided to use this term after reading the engagement below (just a one in 6000 "Nielsen rating sample" of how the Zero turned but rarely, if ever, circle fought), because it appropriately distinguishes low speed turning from high speed turning, which most pilots fail to distinguish: The "circling" part is absolutely critical for clarity:
"On October 21, 1943, the Group launched eight aircraft along with four Mustangs from the 530th on a big Japanese supply dump at Kamaing in Burma. The 530th squadron's P-51As met numerous Mitsubishi Zeros when they accompanied B-24s and B-25s on bombing missions. On the way down, I came up behind Lt. Geoffrey Neal, who was chasing a Zero [Mitsubishi A6M] down to the deck! I latched on to their formation and watched as he drove the enemy fighter right into the ground.
The pilot of the Zero had tried everything to get rid of Lt. Neal except to circle fight. At this point, Lt. Arasmith had two confirmed kills, but the fight wasn't over…"-311th Fighter Group Unit history
Don't get me wrong. The Fw 190 was a very good airplane with excellent roll authority. It wasn't going to out-turn a Spitfire if both pilots understood they were in a fight. If they were ambushed, like a large percent of aerial victories in the war were, then comparative performance wasn't an issue.
Cheers.
Never found a single instance of a Spitfire gaining on a FW-190A during multiple circles. Johnnie Johnson, Pierre Clostermann (30 FW-190 kills combined between them), John Weir, all disagree with you. I have been looking for 30 years, so I can't wait for the
one counter-example...