Things you can do with a J3 Cub

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saw a similar act in a New Orleans airshow decades ago and the pilot ( whose name escapes me just now) went to the next airshow in Baton Rouge and crashed and died. His problem was he always used perfectly restored J-3s from the local areas. The investigation showed the J-3 used this time was normally flown from front seat carrying a passenger in back. Since the J-3 is soloed from the rear seat, a stich was installed but not fastened, so came out during performance. Being familiar with early R/C rudder only, I had wondered why the pilot could not partially recover using rudder and throttle. I later found the complete analysis of the accident and found he had nearly recovered with rudder/throttle and hit at a shallow angle but the engine rolled into the rear cockpit, crushing him. His point in this act was to promote private flying as a safe hobby. My fuzzy memory thinks he might have been Bevo Howard.

Wiki says Howard passed in Greenville, NC in 1971. The Jungmeister he was flying struck a tree.
There's a few of these acts flying around. I was just quite impressed with how he could porpoise that little plane so close to the ground.
Pilot's got skills.
Here's an older video. Mikael Carlson doing some trick landing stuff...

View: https://youtu.be/wW8GRJI6Kz4

Last edited:
And also another whose pilot used power and rudder

It's a model aircraft, the clip was used for advertising of some product in Germany I think it was. Details here

Similarly as a Tiger Moth pilot I can say that video is not real either, a model, engine sound and two stroke smoke are a dead give away.

Last edited:
When trying to see the control surfaces, on the airshow plane video, it seems once he got the nose up and the fuselage down, he used the rudder as elevator and aileron as rudder. Fortunately the engine had enough power and aerobatic oil system for airshow work.
A RAF flying review magazine from long ago had another pilot who kept presence of mind. He was flying an aerobatic plane built by students & teachers to, I think RAE, for evaluation when the spar began to break and one wing began to lift up. He rolled inverted and flew on to a field, approached upsidedown and rolled just before touchdown.

It's a model aircraft, the clip was used for advertising of some product in Germany I think it was. Details here

Similarly as a Tiger Moth pilot I can say that video is not real either, a model, engine sound and two stroke smoke are a dead give away.
Early CGI, actually. A model may have been used to help create the video, but what we're watching is a combination of live action and CGI.
That video must 15-20 years old now.

That wing failure pilot was Neil Williams. His wingtip left a mark on the grass as he rolled over just above the ground.
In the section on how he died, it is said his cargo plane (which appears to be a reworked He-111) crashed into a mountain in Madrid in 1977.
Reading that section suddenly brought to mind an ABC Movie-of-the-Week that was broadcast in the late 1970's that depicted a story of a cargo plane that crashed trying to fly over a tall mountain.
It was pretty "schlocky", but the actors did a good job. Apparently, made overseas (europe, possibly south america), for overseas audiences, some wig in programming thought it might be entertaining.
They actually had to run a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie, explaining that airplanes could easily fly over mountains by that time and idea of a commercial plane trying get over a mountain, as depicted in the movie, was simply for entertainment value.
It is said, though, that the movie was based on a true story.
I wonder if the Neil Williams plane crash was the story that movie was based on?
The time frame would be correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back