Thunder Mustang climb performance vs full scale warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grampi

Senior Airman
Aug 22, 2013
I know it's not a warbird, but it is an accurate scaled down version of a P-51, however, the one thing that isn't scaled down is it's performance...it outperforms the full scale P-51 in just about every category, but probably the most impressive aspect of all of it's performance abilities is its climb performance. I've been doing quite a bit of research on this plane and its pilots are saying it will peg the VSI gauge (which only goes up to 6K ft p/m). As far as I'm aware a plane called Rare Bear (a highly modified F8F Bearcat) currently holds the time-to-climb record for a propeller driven aircraft (dead stop to 3000m in 91 seconds). I think the Thunder Mustang is capable of breaking that record, and as far as I know, the record rules don't stipulate that the plane must be a warbird, but only that it is powered by a piston engine and a propeller. Other than it being cost prohibitive to do so, I don't see why one of these rich Thunder Mustang owners wouldn't be interested in making a record breaking attempt...I mean really, the guys who own and fly these things obviously have plenty of money to be able to afford these expensive toys, why not break the record...it would certainly be fun, and I think the TM would do it...anyone else like to see this?

At sea level, sure the Thunder Mustang has equal performance. How does it drop off with altitude?

3000m in 91s equates to just under 6500 fpm, and that's an average. at sea level it would be much higher, especially taking into account that it is from a standing start. Allowing 20s for take-off, you would be looking at an average of just over 8300 fpm.

At sea level, sure the Thunder Mustang has equal performance. How does it drop off with altitude?

3000m in 91s equates to just under 6500 fpm, and that's an average. at sea level it would be much higher, especially taking into account that it is from a standing start. Allowing 20s for take-off, you would be looking at an average of just over 8300 fpm.

Good question...I don't know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back