top scoring aces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i was at waterstones book store in birmingham today and i picked this book up about american aces from the great war.eddie was in it with quite a few pictures of him and fellow pilots stood with him.it was interesting to see how many american airmen served in the french escardrilles.

HEY CANADAS OWN BILLY BISHOP WAS THE HIGHEST SCORING ALLIED ACE DURING WW1 SCORING 10 LESS THAN THE RED BARON,

aND IT WAS CANDAS OWN ROY BROWN WHO ACTUALLY SHOT DOWN THE RED BARON.

102first_hussars said:
aND IT WAS CANDAS OWN ROY BROWN WHO ACTUALLY SHOT DOWN THE RED BARON.
That's highly debatable. At the time it seemed that way to many, and indeed it was a claim that existed for many, many years, but I believe that new evidence has recently come to light that makes it much more likely that it was in fact the Australian gunners on the ground who shot down von Richthofen. I'm not entirely sure of it, but I seem to have read that not long ago somewhere, and it was a pretty compelling argument. I dunno. Maybe it was Brown after all.

The highest allied ace thing has been debated for decades too. Many still say Eddie Mannock shot down 73. I don't think it'll ever really be proven one way or the other.

Roy Brown had to be credited with this kill. The same month the RFC became the RAF - a big headline was needed.

Back in 1967 the first book was written about this. The author cited autopsy notes and if one would read them, it was impossible for Roy Brown to have kill Richthofen. The wound came from below and exited the chest area. By his own admittance, Brown never fired at the Baron from below.

If the red Baron's aircraft wasn't torn apart by souvenir hunters, maybe the truth wold of been more apparent, but I think the Australian unit on the ground pillaged the aircraft because they were pretty sure they killed him

Right, so there you are. The evidence isn't so recent after all. I guess I should have actually said that I'd read about it fairly recently. :rolleyes:

Also, in my previous post I'd completely forgotten about the Frenchman René Fonck, who was actually the top allied ace of WWI with a tally of 75 enemy planes downed. The Mannock/Bishop debate is over the top British Empire ace.

I dont think anyone now understands the sheer bravery and courage it took those guys to go to war in something made of wood and canvas. In my mind they all deserve alot of respect for what they did.

Users who are viewing this thread