TRAITOR!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, it's not, and my DD-256 separating me from the Reserves after my 4-year active-duty hitch specifically relieved me of duty to my oath. Needless to say, I agree with our late friend on an emotional level, but legally, no, once separated, an enlisted troop is released from obligation.

Officers, on the other hand, while released from their oaths, may be called back into commission and prosecuted under UCMJ authority for crimes committed after their service.
I do not remember anything in either of the two DD-214s* (enlisted separation from Active Duty form) that said anything about being released from the oath I swore upon my first or second enlistment.

* When I re-enlisted after 4 years the USMC first separated me from active duty, then, one minute later, enlisted me for another 4 years.

I do not remember anything in either of the two DD-214s* (enlisted separation from Active Duty form) that said anything about being released from the oath I swore upon my first or second enlistment.

* When I re-enlisted after 4 years the USMC first separated me from active duty, then, one minute later, enlisted me for another 4 years.
Nothing released you from your oath. If a document was later officially declassified then you could talk about it.

Nor I. The astute reader will have noticed I referenced my -256, which released me from my follow-on reserve obligation. I'll see if I can dig it up and post a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back