TRAITOR!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is that a lifetime, post-discharge regulation?
Technically, no - which is why, when servicemen (or women) "re-up", the oath is taken again.

However, it is a moral thing and the vast majority of military personnel carry that allegiance long after they have left, or retired from, the service.

My oath of allegiance came with my birth certificate, and I renewed it with a pledge every morning that I was in school.
Then some wrongheaded types hollered about that pledge being unconstitutional, and liberal thinkers let them get away with it. We have undermined all our appreciation of and respect for all standards of authority, civility and morality in this fruitless search to please everyone and wound up pleasing no one!
Unless we have some understandable, common standards, we cease being a nation and become a quagmire of quarellous tribes.
Our foundation must be our identity as a nation, not faith in the political agenda du jour.

One part of the oath is to keep secrets secret and not to blabber or teach what's secret.
But if even a former president does not uphold to his oath ......

One part of the oath is to keep secrets secret and not to blabber or teach what's secret.

And that's the nub of the problem. If all this guy was doing was training throttle and stick stuff, then he's done nothing wrong. If he was laying out USAF tactics and technical details of in-service airframes, then he's broken the law. It's up to the legal process to decide whether or not he's culpable.

First of all, this clown is a former Marine. Of all the service branches, Marines are least likely to betray their country or at least from what I have seen, personally.

I know Marines are typically portrayed as grunting and pointing sticks in the air when a plane flys overhead, but they are fiercely loyal.

I can't find the article from last year, but this former Major was teaching Chinese pilots USN takeoff and approach/trap techniques as well as launch cycle doctrine amongst other things.

He currently claims to be nothing more than a victim of politics, but the reality is that he, a former Officer in United States service, was divulging US military procedure and information for compensation to a nation who is not a friend to the U.S. (or any other nation) and never will be.

This article from last year provides some better detail of what he was up to, as well as what his Chinese contacts were known for:

So eff him, I hope they crucify him.

How are Marines less likely?

Loyalty and honor are found in all of the branches, and so is disloyalty and betrayal. No more or less than in any branch.

In my 40 years of being around the military, including my own time in the active duty US Army I have never found a branch of service where members are more likely to betray their country over any other branch.

Most service members of any branch serve their country because of a sense of honor and duty.

To say that members one branch are more likely to betray their country is honestly insulting and quite frankly uninformed and wrong.

Is that a lifetime, post-discharge regulation?

No, it's not, and my DD-256 separating me from the Reserves after my 4-year active-duty hitch specifically relieved me of duty to my oath. Needless to say, I agree with our late friend on an emotional level, but legally, no, once separated, an enlisted troop is released from obligation.

Officers, on the other hand, while released from their oaths, may be called back into commission and prosecuted under UCMJ authority for crimes committed after their service.

No, it's not, and my DD-256 separating me from the Reserves after my 4-year active-duty hitch specifically relieved me of duty to my oath. Needless to say, I agree with our late friend on an emotional level, but legally, no, once separated, an enlisted troop is released from obligation.

Officers, on the other hand, while released from their oaths, may be called back into commission and prosecuted under UCMJ authority for crimes committed after their service.

You still can not allowed to disclose secret information even after you are separated. Even enlisted are held to that.

How are Marines less likely?

Loyalty and honor are found in all of the branches, and so is disloyalty and betrayal. No more or less than in any branch.

In my 40 years of being around the military, including my own time in the active duty US Army I have never found a branch of service where members are more likely to betray their country over any other branch.

Most service members of any branch serve their country because of a sense of honor and duty.

To say that members one branch are more likely to betray their country is honestly insulting and quite frankly uninformed and wrong.
Not meant as an insult at all, but understand that in my lifetime, I have encountered former members of the armed forces who for one reason or another, become disenchanted with the U.S. - and I have even locked horns with a few of them over it. I was also nearly arrested once while taking the colors away from a former service member who was going to burn it in protest.

Of all those persons I have personally encountered/interacted with, not one was a Marine. This is NOT saying any one branch is better than the other, this is just my personal experience.

And if you recall, I stated the VAST majority hold their oath for life even though not required after their service has concluded.

Keeping a secret does not depend on military service or being in a military unit. The activities of Bletchley park were kept secret until the 1970s by thousands of people, most of whom were civilians. When finally given clearance to discuss it, many men and women told their parents, spouses children and friends who hadnt got a clue.

Not meant as an insult at all, but understand that in my lifetime, I have encountered former members of the armed forces who for one reason or another, become disenchanted with the U.S. - and I have even locked horns with a few of them over it. I was also nearly arrested once while taking the colors away from a former service member who was going to burn it in protest.

Of all those persons I have personally encountered/interacted with, not one was a Marine. This is NOT saying any one branch is better than the other, this is just my personal experience.

And if you recall, I stated the VAST majority hold their oath for life even though not required after their service has concluded.

I was addressing the fact that it was stated that Marines are less likely, which is not based on any fact.

I was addressing the fact that it was stated that Marines are less likely, which is not based on any fact.
I never stated fact, I stated my PERSONAL experience - huge difference.

I have walked this earth for over sixty years and have met a wide variety of military people in that time.

And again, the VAST majority of service persons I have known (read: VAST) carry their oath to the grave.

The point I was trying to make (and aparently failed) was that a Major of the Corps turned douche for the tune of dangling dollars, which surprised me, as literally every Marine I have ever known would cut the throat of anyone who would do such a thing.

But who the eff am I, I don't have facts, it appears...

I have walked this earth for over sixty years and have met a wide variety of military people in that time.

And again, the VAST majority of service persons I have known (read: VAST) carry their oath to the grave.

The point I was trying to make (and aparently failed) was that a Major of the Corps turned douche for the tune of dangling dollars, which surprised me, as literally every Marine I have ever known would cut the throat of anyone who would do such a thing.

I knew exactly what you meant.

But thats not what you said. Had you said that, I would not have thought a thing. What you said was "of all the service branches, they are the least likely."

But I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, its not worth my time, and I have more important things to worry about today… ;)

Cheers. 🍺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back