Transports

Which transport had the most effect?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True. I thought it was a nice story. I need to read more on Chennault. I have seemed to forget him in my B-24 readings. AH more to read! 8)

The American C-47 didn't have armament but the Soviet copy Li-2 had a top turret.
And then the AC-47 'Spooky' in Vietnam was armed to the teeth.

Most transports other then the USAAC were armed with a tail gun. Ju-52s had more used to straff the field before troops jumped. The Russian Li-2 was a Licence built DC-3 with top turret and tail gun some had beam guns as well. :0 Hapy reading!

I thought the Li-2 was a license built C-47...
...The Ju-52/3m was armed, and you can quite clearly see it in most pictures of it.

The Ju-52 was armed, but this was limited to single, hand-operated 7.92mm MGs in the dorsal and ventral position; harldy imposing.

On paper yes, better than nothing. But in practicality teh two weapons were unlikely to have any effect and discouraging an attack. Just look at what happened to all of those Ju-52s trying to cross the Med.

Plan_D, yes sorry the Dc-3/C-47 names gets switched in my head.
They are almost the same. When you look at it.

I think the Li-2 even a little better then the C-47, I liked the ruggedness and the classic Russian thought to make it idiot proff or as close to it as posible. The guns though seem like they would not ward off a fighter ;)

Well the DC-3 and C-47 are the same, basically, I just wanted to be annoying because the C-47 is the military version. :lol:

The Li-2 was probably better in some aspects, the Soviets certainly gave the Americans the idea for the gunship...the Li-2 sporting the many machine guns for ground attack...became the AC-47 'Spooky' of Vietnam.

Quote:

Quote:

what are mgs

sorry, MGs mean machine guns............

i thought it was mg rover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back