Trumpeter 1/32nd Lightning F6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi Guys and Terry !,

Anyone got their hands on the NEW Trumpeter 1/32nd Lightning F6 yet ?
is there any better parts/spec' than their last effort, something i beat :rolleyes:

This is an enquiry about the F6 not the F1 like i made this year......

Sprue shots i did
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/mo...ter-1-32-bac-lightning-sprue-shots-16399.html

Build on the F1
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/trumpeter-1-32-bac-lightning-build-16449.html

cheers. ian

Hi Ian. great see you back on the modelling pages mate! I've only seen one review of the Trump F6 so far. It would appear to be similar to the earlier kit, just 'updated' to the F6 lower fuselage, fin and wing. Don't think I'll be rushing out to get one, not at that price!
But, if you want 1/48th, the Eduard kit is on the way, NOT as originally announced by Hannant's - think it was going to be the F6 but is now the F1/1a/3, or vice versa. And Academy are due to release a 1/48th F6 no news so far on a date for this.

Hi Terry,

As you say not at that price ! :rolleyes: Just why are they so dear in the first place ?
You don't get value for money as there is not alot of detail unlike Hasagowa kits
and for around £80 for the kit, theres still loads of modding to it to make it stand
out and i've found out that the F1 and F6 are too tall on it's legs, this is due to
Trumpeter taking the dimensions from a Lightning which has no engines in it !!

So i take it the canopy/seat are still going to be wrong :evil:

I've made four 1/48th Lightnings in the past and it's time for a change scale wise !
would like to hear about the Academy version though !, it might be cheap.

ian

Last edited:
That's answered something about the Trump Lightning - I couldn't figure out what looked wrong, as it seemed too 'stumpy'. Obviously it's sitting too high!!
I'm guessing the Academy Lightning will be between £17 and £23, just going off retail prices for similar-sized jet kits they do. It's not as complex, or with as many 'accessories' as, say, their F14 or F16, which are around £23, so hopefully under 20 quid! Looking forward to it, to go with the Airfix F1A in my 56 Sqn build, although I might do it as a late 5 or 11 Sqn bird.

Well Terry i reckon if the Academy ones are around £20 i'll be getting one
all my other lightnings have gone, didn't see sence but pound signs and i made
£200 for all four of my built lightnings :[

ian.

Wow! That's good going mate! I've never thought of advertising models for sale, or to order. Seems to be a growing market these days, thanks to the massive growth in (expensive) die-cast models.

Wow! That's good going mate! I've never thought of advertising models for sale, or to order. Seems to be a growing market these days, thanks to the massive growth in (expensive) die-cast models.

I sold one of the RNZAF Corsairs I made recently ( 5517) just to test if there was a market for them and because they're taking up abit of room!

Made enough to cover all investment costs ( kits/decals/paint/stain) + more . However its not something Il be doing again , although the guy whom I sold it too has asked if I can do others

Academy kit sounds like a good choice Ian! 8) personally never liked trumpter

I got a 1/72 hasegawa kit a couple months back! quite surprised at its size , even in 1/72

Yea and oh the power, a flash in the sky, the noise, a whoosh of air and then the thunder and what was it, a couple of stacked Avon's on stilts.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Just a Rocket with wings and a crazy pilot really :lol:

As for building models for people it can be done, don't over charge and keep them updated with pictures of their model, i made £200 on this Lightning alone.

You have to show QUALITY in your build and there has got to be NO mistakes at all as the customer will spot it later on and most of all if they want it done in any spec' you listen to them not your pocket :oops:

This was for a Gent who actually worked at RAF Binbrook AND knew Wing Commander John Spencer and maintained his aircraft, The Lightning is in the old Camo' colours way before she was painted light grey as she is now at Bruntingtonthorpe now.

Latest Offering ! a Airfix 1/48th Lightning F6 - Europeanmodeller Forums

After this he asked me to make a 1/48th Avro Vulcan NOW THAT WAS BIG 8)

ian.

Your dead right Ian. I have built models for people in the past, but they've been either gifts, or done as a favour, and sometimes as an addition to a painting of the subject aircraft. The latter normally for the aircrew member concerned, or a relative/offspring. I've always approached it exaxctly the same as I do for commissioned paintings - find out what the customer wants, check all the details he or she can provide, double check these against references etc, confirm, adjust as required, provide a working plan, update, produce. With models, as opposed to paintings, I also ascertain if the subject is required as a 'stand alone' model, or on a base, cameo diorama etc.
To be honest, I'd feel a little guilty charging more than a reasonable sum on top of the cost of the model, even though if physical time spent was charged by the hour it would be lucrative. There has to be a realistic price for my paintings, even though they are 'one offs', and, if these were charged 'by the hour', and then the creativity, skill and 'profit' taken into account, the final price would be ridiculously high. Of course, at some stage in the future, any original could possibly sell for many times the original selling price - as with most artists, long after they've popped their clogs!!
So, when I run out of room, or see that a model could really do with being in a better place, I'll probably do what I've done in the past, and give it (or them) to a suitable museum or similar organisation.

I agree Terry , My idea for the Corsair started with NZ5517 and since its missing I thought making models of it and selling them maybe a way to fundraise some money for the search. The bloke I'm in contact with is currently do the same , that is fundraising for heli time to go in ( not with models of course)

Hence the Corsair sale was testing the market for demand/interest - unfortunately though ,although I sold at a profit its not worth doing again

Plus it just feels wrong

Hi guys its been a while but yes i have just got hold of one F6 nice model at the first look one thing that did nark me was the lack of seat belts and the detaile around the belly gun ports but those gripes aside its a good kit .BB Ps iwas talking to the boss of vintage fighter series kits they are going to do an 1/24 corsair .

Well iv,e now got the fuselage together on the lightning and it looks good .I had to add a 5mm bit of plasticard round the intake on the inside of the fuselage that turned out fine .I don,t see what the gripe is about the tail pipes iv,e checked them against master casters pipes and can,t tell the difference ive also added seat belts to the seat that was a real weak spot in the detail the cable trunking along the lower body looks ok but some people think its to long ive checked against two different publications and i think it looks about right .Will let you know more as i progress and yes its damn big.BB

Well iv,e now got the fuselage together on the lightning and it looks good .I had to add a 5mm bit of plasticard round the intake on the inside of the fuselage that turned out fine .I don,t see what the gripe is about the tail pipes iv,e checked them against master casters pipes and can,t tell the difference ive also added seat belts to the seat that was a real weak spot in the detail the cable trunking along the lower body looks ok but some people think its to long ive checked against two different publications and i think it looks about right .Will let you know more as i progress and yes its damn big.BB

I too after i built my Lightning saw those 'Mastercasters' Tailpipes and theres hardly any difference other than you get ripped off with the price :shock:

How about a brand new thread to show us all your F3 build ! I would really like to see that one come alive :p

ian.

Thats not a bad idea ian i will give it a try if the computer will behave its self we lost all our prgrams when it was repaired so i will have to get a new resizing prog oh its an F6 not a F3 .BB looks like a pregnant lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back