Trumpeter's 1/48 Dehavilland Vampire FB Mk.9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Well, it's marked as FB Mk.9, but they missed out on the air condition bits that makes it a '9'....so, for what I've heard/read, it's more a FB Mk.5....
Which leads me to this question....

What's the difference between this FB Mk.5 and the 310 FB.50's that Sweden bought?
Can I use this Mk.5 for a FB.50?

Yes old bean the FB 50 was the export version of the FB 5
have been researching the very same kit over the last few days.

The rivet counters dont like this kit as it is a bit bloated in the fuselage and the nose is a bit to symetrical for them but it looks like a Vampire to me and i am getting one soon !

Thanks awfully old chap, much obliged and all that rot!
I'll get one soon as well then, it looks like a Vampire to me too and that's enough... :lol:

Good enough for me too! The first review I saw, when it had just been released, seemed favourable overall, and, for a Trumpeter kit, the price didn't seem too bad either. But then, there's not a lot to a Vampire, in the way of parts. Even the Classic Airframes, 2-seat T11 I have is fairly simple, and that's got all the resin bits for the cockpit.

it is a very simple kit, intakes are blanked off and no engine trunking but not a problem for me !

if i cant get one at Duxford i will be ordering one online along with an Italeri Hawk T1, which i've heard is better than the Airfix version ?

The Airfix Hawk is fairly simple, but quite nice, although the MDC's moulded into the canopy are a bit heavy, and the instrument panels are not really accurate. I seem to recall reading a build review of the Italeri Hawk which, although very detailed, apparently had some fit problems plus other issues, although I forget what they were. The same review suggested that the Airfix kit was more accurate overall, which lead me to getting the Airfix rather than the Italeri kit, and looking at my example, I think it should build into a neat little model, especially with a bit of extra scratch-building in the cockpit.
Heck of a price difference too !
Remind me when you get here on Saturday Karl, and you can have a look at the Airfix kit, see what you think.

The Airfix Hawk is fairly simple, but quite nice, although the MDC's moulded into the canopy are a bit heavy, and the instrument panels are not really accurate. I seem to recall reading a build review of the Italeri Hawk which, although very detailed, apparently had some fit problems plus other issues, although I forget what they were. The same review suggested that the Airfix kit was more accurate overall, which lead me to getting the Airfix rather than the Italeri kit, and looking at my example, I think it should build into a neat little model, especially with a bit of extra scratch-building in the cockpit.
Heck of a price difference too !
Remind me when you get here on Saturday Karl, and you can have a look at the Airfix kit, see what you think.
weird, when i first looked at them both most reviews said the Italeri kit was the way to go now when i look they say go with Airfix as the Italeri is not twice as good a kit for twice as much money !

so will go with Airfix then and buy a decal set to do a grey/green cammo Hawk !

Karl, I think the decals for the overall grey version can be used as a grey/green - I'll check my kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back