Trying to identify piece of airplane - B24?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GJB

Recruit
Dec 29, 2018
Hi, I have an airplane part that was brought home by a relative that was an instrument mechanic in the Army Air Corp in WW2. I was told it was from a B24 Liberator. It is a small cast aluminum propeller attached to a small housing. It has 2 fluid line connectors and 2 adjusting screws. I would like to know what it is

IMG_0976.JPGIMG_0977.JPG

I have no idea of its use, but it looks like a RAT, Ram Air Turbine, used on modern aircraft when they have lost all other power.

I also have no idea but if you can find some part numbers that may help. B-24 numbers start 32 followed by one or more letters and then more numbers.
If it is a vendor part used on the B-24 then that could have any number and may fit other aircraft as well.

I also have no idea but if you can find some part numbers that may help. B-24 numbers start 32 followed by one or more letters and then more numbers.
If it is a vendor part used on the B-24 then that could have any number and may fit other aircraft as well.
Only numbers I can find on it are R&S 585 stamped on the housing. I did find a reference online to a RAT installed in the front wheel well of B24s. No pictures though. The housing on this is so small it is hard to see how a pump in there could generate much hydraulic pressure.

Only numbers I can find on it are R&S 585 stamped on the housing. I did find a reference online to a RAT installed in the front wheel well of B24s. No pictures though. The housing on this is so small it is hard to see how a pump in there could generate much hydraulic pressure.

Unfortunately I do not have a B24 parts list but the D model flight manual does not have any reference to any RAT - maybe others can help

Here's the AAIR website that shows manufacturer's part numbers. Aviation Archaeology- Part Number Prefix By Aircraft Type

The issue you may find is this was probably a subcontractor designed and supplied component and may carry it's own part number so it could have been installed on several different airframes.
Looks like the mystery has been solved. This is a Rotherham pressure pump. I found some pictures online of this exact unit installed on an inboard front strut of a Sopwith Pup. Thanks everyone for your help

Looks like the mystery has been solved. This is a Rotherham pressure pump. I found some pictures online of this exact unit installed on an inboard front strut of a Sopwith Pup. Thanks everyone for your help
Glad to be of help!

And while it might be a bit disappointing that it's not a part from a B-24, knowing that it was on a legendary WWI fighter is a heck of an upside. :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back