Trying to identify what this stick assembly is from ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008
Yup, I'm still getting stuff and adding to One More Time as the years progress.

My latest acquisition has me stumped tho....I know the rudder assembly is deffo T6 rear cockpit but I have no clear ID on the stick assembly.

It's not T6 as the gooseneck at the stick base is the wrong casting and the torque tube 'floor' mounts are incorrect. the Part No's '82' indicates possible B25C...but we all know the B25 had yolks not a stick. Also the stick appears to be a two piece...doesn't look like its been chopped with a hacksaw !.

I get a feeling it's a NAA product as the pair came together, have the same paint color and the assorted bolts / screws are all lock-wired the same style. I did think it may be a Naval version due to the grey color but not 100 % convinced.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_4734.jpg
    IMG_4734.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4746.JPEG
    IMG_4746.JPEG
    415.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4745.JPEG
    IMG_4745.JPEG
    250.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4744.JPEG
    IMG_4744.JPEG
    412.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4743.JPEG
    IMG_4743.JPEG
    433.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4742.JPEG
    IMG_4742.JPEG
    345.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4741.JPEG
    IMG_4741.JPEG
    423.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 37
Definitely not a NAA product. NAA use two digits for the model the part is first used on then a dash and then five digits plus those controls are in the -52nnn group.

No idea what it is off though. Check the rudder pedal part numbers and you will see how NAA do it.

Definitely not a NAA product. NAA use two digits for the model the part is first used on then a dash and then five digits plus those controls are in the -52nnn group.

No idea what it is off though. Check the rudder pedal part numbers and you will see how NAA do it.
Yup, looking onto it further, I've noticed that each assembly on the stick set-up has the letter 'R' cast into it...Maybe it's a 'Republic' assembly ?

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpg
    IMG_4742.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4744.jpg
    IMG_4744.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4817.JPEG
    IMG_4817.JPEG
    357.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4818.JPEG
    IMG_4818.JPEG
    397 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4819.JPEG
    IMG_4819.JPEG
    265.1 KB · Views: 16
On the P-47 Republic used 89 followed by a letter followed by five digits and then often followed by a dash and two digits.

It is unlikely they used a different part numbering system on earlier aircraft.

The R may stand for Ryan (I have never worked on one so have no idea of their part numbering or cast in markings) or it may be the casting contractors symbol. Many companies used parts supplied from Alcoa and those have ALCOA cast in. Have a look for any inspection stamps - typically they are about 5/16 high. Some of those parts will probably have been heat treated and the usual, but not the only, heat treat stamp is a circle with an H and a T inside it. Some, but not that many, parts will have a military acceptance stamp on them which will be AC, AF or AN for AF aircraft and ?? or AN for Navy (I am having a senior moment and cannot remember what the other Navy stamp was tho I suspect it was BA yet that just feels wrong for some reason). Any other stamp will be the airframe manufacturers stamp. I cannot see any stamps in any of the photos you supplies so far but that may just be photo angles and dpi.

Last edited:
Note I suspect it is from a single seater as if it was from a two seat tandem there would only be one support bearing and the torque tube would show signs of being cut off. It could be from a two seat side by side and the vertical aileron output supports, but is not exclusive to, that configuration.

I also suspect a wood aircraft as the travel stops are on the hook instead of located at the control surfaces themselves where they are much easier to access and adjust but again that is not exclusive to wood aircraft.

Allrighty...ID solved.
Explains why I / we couldn't confirm the part number layout as its a from a Link Trainer....nope, not the little Blue box with yellow wings on bellows on top of a desk but a much much bigger one.
What I have is a stick from a C11B Instrument Trainer that was used to train F80 Shooting Star jockeys !
I'm guessing there weren't that many made (Compared to an actual aircraft production run !) so I kinda think it's a pretty rare bit of kit. Here's a link to one that currently exists and you clearly see the stick / torque tube going away from the seat instead of under it... Link aviation C11B Instrument Trainer
Pretty pleased to have it but at the same time annoyed I can't use anything from it for 'OMT....in my defense it did look like a '51 stick in the small pictures that I brought it from :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back