Two engine valves, and a door (or cover)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have two more valves we found, and what looks to be a door or cover of some sort.

The first valve is the same style as the ones for the DB-605, except it heavier and longer. Also, the face of the valve is convex. There is a number stamped around the stem end of that valve. It is 18WCV772012. The dimensions are about 6.3 inches long, .716 inches stem diameter, and the valve diameter is 2.717 inches.

The other valve has a skinny stem; only .425 inches in diameter, 5.798 inches long, but the valve is 2.900 inches in diameter. No numbers or other markings, The valve face is concave, and the part that isn't corroded is very shiny, almost like chrome. There is a series of grooves in the stem end.

The door is very heavy and sturdy. The outside piece of aluminum is .060" thick. The inside has reinforcements riveted on. There are two loop pivot points, and a catch. the door is roughly square; the dimensions are about 10.5" x 9.25". It is difficult to get accurate measurements because the door is bent. The door has a saving grace; there is a number very clearly stamped on the inside side: 88 651 8301.

That's it for this message. Thank you for your help. ..... Larry

Lrg vlv stem end 2.JPGSkinny vlv stem end.JPGSkinny vlv.JPGLrg vlv.JPGBoth vlvs 1.JPGBoth vlvs 2.JPGboth vlvs 3.JPGNumber on dooe.JPGDoor inside.JPGDoor outside.JPG

Attachments

• Lrg vlv stem end 1.JPG
    Lrg vlv stem end 1.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting your valves and "door". The Valves are very interesting. Firstly, the one with 18mm stem and Convex head. I am expecting this to be a BMW 801 Exhaust valve.
It has the curious circle with some lines in it as a trademark, just like one of your previous German DB 605 valves, it has the spring-ring groove to catch valves that drop due to spring or cotter pin failure and it looks identical to the exhaust valve in the BMW 801 manual. Unfortunately, I do not have the precise measurements for the 801 valves but, I am sure that is what it is.
The skinny valve is unknown but I wonder if it is from something like a Hispano-Suiza 12, or similar?
I agree with mjfur that the cowl flap looks to be Ju 88, hopefully someone has the partslist to confirm.

Eng

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting your valves and "door". The Valves are very interesting. Firstly, the one with 18mm stem and Convex head. I am expecting this to be a BMW 801 Exhaust valve.
It has the curious circle with some lines in it as a trademark, just like one of your previous German DB 605 valves, it has the spring-ring groove to catch valves that drop due to spring or cotter pin failure and it looks identical to the exhaust valve in the BMW 801 manual. Unfortunately, I do not have the precise measurements for the 801 valves but, I am sure that is what it is.
The skinny valve is unknown but I wonder if it is from something like a Hispano-Suiza 12, or similar?
I agree with mjfur that the cowl flap looks to be Ju 88, hopefully someone has the partslist to confirm.

Eng
Thanks Eng. We have a lot of BMW 801 parts, including a full set of cylinders, and 2 of the 3 center section pieces. Someday, we hope to build up a display engine; mocking up the parts we don't have. Knowing that one valve is from that engine is just one more nice thing we have to go with the other parts. ..... Larry

I think we have another one of the cowl flap doors. I haven't seen it, but I'm told there is no part number on it. Is that possible; the Germans would make something without a part number on it?:)

Thanks Eng. We have a lot of BMW 801 parts, including a full set of cylinders, and 2 of the 3 center section pieces. Someday, we hope to build up a display engine; mocking up the parts we don't have. Knowing that one valve is from that engine is just one more nice thing we have to go with the other parts. ..... Larry

I think we have another one of the cowl flap doors. I haven't seen it, but I'm told there is no part number on it. Is that possible; the Germans would make something without a part number on it?:)
Hi Larry,

Certainly, almost all German parts have a parts ref number at least. I would say that parts from 1944 and onwards do seem to become less thoroughly marked, this coincides with the desperate mass-production in the late war period. Quality and finish of parts also reduced.

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back