Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handley Page Hampden

• Brewster Buffalo

• Grumman Hellcat

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do something thoroughly outrageous now!....i'm going to discuss something ON THE TOPIC!!! ( Cue dramatic music) :shock: :shock: :shock:

One of the things that i think makes the lancaster a bit ugly (sorry lanc) is the colours (but i can understand why they have those) and the dome stuck right on the end of its chin...couldn't it just have a hole in the floor like everything else? (as you can see i have a limited knowledge of bombers) i think you're the best person to ask Lanc as you are obviously an expert on them

i think you're the best person to ask Lanc as you are obviously an expert on them

well thanks......................

and that "dome stuck right on the end of it's chin" was more common that "a hole in the floor", i mean, could you imagine trying to aim a bouncing bomb through a hole in the floor? it would be impossible, besides, the B-17 had a bigger "dome" than even the Mk. 3 had, but i don't hear you complaining about that........................

BTW, those colours were nessacery as camoflage

For some reason it looks better on the B-17 than the lanc...i think the lanc looks a bit unshapely, and by that i mean it doesn't look very areodynamic to me

I see your point about the bouncing bomb (see i told you you are an expert!) but couldn't they have just used a complex mirror system? simple cos it would look better \:D/ :lol:

You know,

I've always considered the Halifax one of the most elegant looking bombers of WW2

2119.jpg

halifax.jpg

The Halifax heavy bomber proved itself to be Britain's second best heavy bomber, eclipsed only by the superb AVRO Lancaster. It was first flown only three months after the Short Stirling, but proved to be far superior to that aircraft in most ways. The Halifax's overall performance classed it as one of the best combat planes of the war, something that is rarely recognised today. The Halifax was made in numerous versions, the most numerous being the Mk. I and II with 2,050 produced. Unfortunately, the Halifax Mk. I had a serious flaw in the design of it's tail structure that caused it to go into a rapid, uncontrollable spin if it was flung about the air too much. This undoubtedly caused a number of fatal crashes. The design of the tail structure was changed in the Mk. II and III versions. These proved to be far superior to the Mk. I. A total of 2,060 Mk. IIIs were produced from Feb. 1944 to the war's end. Mk. VI and VII versions were completed at the war's end with more powerful engines and longer range. The Halifax was primarily a night heavy bomber, but it was also used in Coastal Command to hunt U-boats as the Mk. V and for dropping paratroops. It was also used to ferry troops, as an air ambulance and a glider-tug. In the night bomber role Halifaxes flew a total of 75,532 missions, dropping more than 227,000 tons of bombs. Only four Halifaxes made it to 100 missions. Today there are no complete Halifax bombers on display. One is being reconstructed from a plane that crashed in Norway. Several wrecks are on display and the most complete aircraft is at the Trenton Museum, Trenton, Ontario.

halifaxmk3.jpg

Technical Details
The Mk. I Halifax heavy bomber carried a crew of seven, these being pilot, engineer, bomb aimer/observer, navigator, wireless operator, mid-upper gunner and tail-gunner. It was powered by four Rolls-Royce Merlin X engines each generating 1,280 hp using three-bladed, variable pitch, metal propellers. It had a maximum speed of 265 mph (426 km/h) at 17,500 ft (5,300 m), with a ceiling of 22,800 ft (6,950 m) and a range of 1,860 miles (3,000 km). It carried six 0.303 in. machine guns, two in the mid-upper position and four in the tail turret. It was capable of hauling 13,000 lbs (5,890 kg) of bombs or mines.

The Mk. II had more powerful Merlin engines, a single Vickers K machine gun for the bomb aimer and a redesigned tail structure that improved handling characteristics considerably.

The Mk. III was the second major production varient. It had a radical change in engine, with the Merlin being replaced by the Bristol Hercules XVI air-cooled engines each developing 1,615 hp. At the time Merlin engines were in great demand and the AVRO Lancaster with Bristol engines proved to be underpowered, so it got the Merlins and the Halifaxes got the Bristols.

Quotes sourced from : http://www.constable.ca/halifax.htm

Mind you I also like these French bombers

ss1189pt.jpg

Kiwimac

Good god Kiwi!! :shock:

The Halifax looks like a flying Brick! god its a horrible looking beast of a plane! i hear the German fighters flew away when they saw it coming it was so ugly they could'nt even bare to look at it - let alone shoot at it! and if one crashed in a populated area they had to evacuate everyone within 10 miles just so they could clear up the wreakage without blinding anyone with its fearful ugliness!
eww ugly!

anyway....the French one is...well its french isn't it? nuff said mate :rolleyes:

Well i feel that all the planes are special...You cant possibly say that one is more ugly than the other cos they are all so different

jj1982 said:
Well i feel that all the planes are special...You cant possibly say that one is more ugly than the other cos they are all so different

:lol: you should look up some of the pictures of planes i have mentioned above - some of them are seriously ugly mate especially the Fiesler - ewwww

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back