UKR Migs Equipped With US Missiles (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From Avweb:

"It would appear some good old U.S. (and Ukrainian) ingenuity has gone into the apparently successful integration of the digitally dependent Raytheon AGM-88 high-speed anti-radiation missile (HARM) into the completely analog MiG-29s of the Ukrainian air force. The potent weapon, which is designed to home in on and take out radar-guided surface-to-air missiles, is now being used by UAF pilots to clear the way for air strikes against the Russians. And it would appear the solution was some off-the-shelf avionics that might be found in your average Cessna 172."

"Along with video of the missiles leaving the rails of the MiG-29, the footage released by the Ukrainians shows a shot of the cockpit sporting a portable GPS. Although no details have been released about the installation, it's speculated the missile's sensors are linked to the GPS to give targeting information to the pilot. The missile normally reports to the aircraft's MFD and gives the pilot a list of radiation emitters, one of which is selected for destruction. In the MiG installation, the tablet and GPS may substitute for the MFD."

Could those Polish MiGs that were offered to Ukraine but the U.S. said no to, were being modified to accept HARMS?

Last edited:
From Avweb:

"Along with video of the missiles leaving the rails of the MiG-29, the footage released by the Ukrainians shows a shot of the cockpit sporting a portable GPS. Although no details have been released about the installation it's speculated the missile's sensors are linked to the GPS to give targeting information to the pilot.
The portable GPS' seen in both Ukrainian and Russian look like an off the shelf Garmin unit (I owned one of these several years ago). Mine was a great tool but IIRC were accurate within 300' most of the time and this was before GLONASS was fully operational.

Hey GrauGeist,

Can you provide a link to the source that mentions Ukraine getting the Slovak MiG-29s? Last I heard (as of 31 August) the MiGs were still in Slovakia at Sliač Air Base.

(There was a false report back in July that the MiGs had already been donated.)

Hey GrauGeist,

Can you provide a link to the source that mentions Ukraine getting the Slovak MiG-29s? Last I heard (as of 31 August) the MiGs were still in Slovakia at Sliač Air Base.

(There was a false report back in July that the MiGs had already been donated.)

Hey FLYBOY J,

Thanks for the reply, but that link is to a statement made by the Slovak PM in March, then re-tweeted by someone in July.

Hey GrauGeist,

The links you posted say only that the deal between Slovakia/Poland/Czech Republic potentially frees the MiGs for Ukraine, and that the MiGs are now grounded. They do not say the MiGs have been handed over to Ukraine.

Also, although I do not know how much it matters, the Slovak MiG-29s were never upgraded to use NATO weapons. EADS made some upgrades to handle NATO compatible communications and IFF, along with some other minor details, but the air defense weapons fit remained the Russian AAM types. I do not think the Slovak MiG-29s were upgraded to use any air-to-ground ordnance other that unguided rockets and dumb bombs.

Also, although I do not know how much it matters, the Slovak MiG-29s were never upgraded to use NATO weapons. EADS made some upgrades to handle NATO compatible communications and IFF, along with some other minor details, but the air defense weapons fit remained the Russian AAM types. I do not think the Slovak MiG-29s were upgraded to use any air-to-ground ordnance other that unguided rockets and dumb bombs.
But it's apparent that the MiG-29, be it Ukrainian or Slovak can be modified to carry air to ground ordnance (as seen in the earlier video). Based on industry publications, the modification, developed by Raytheon, has been engineered and proven as a viable system. If this deal becomes a reality, it would not surprise me if these MiGs show up modified.

Due to the costs involved not all the NATO nations opted for all the bells and whistles. The Slovak Air Force intended use of the MiG-29 was for defense of its airspace, not for ground attack, so did not opt for the expense of upgrades and the required training costs.

Poland is also a NATO nation, but we do not see them saying that their MiG-29s were capable of using all the NATO air-to-ground weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back