Uniform Allowance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
At the time of my graduation from Bombardier School, Sept 30, 1944, there was need for change of uniform to officer's attire. As a 2LT I was given $500.00 to make the purchase. I had freedom of selection in the items chosen. From that time on the cost of adding or replacing was at my expense.

The same was true for meal expense at the Officer's Mess. A monthly charge was imposed. Those graduating as Flight Officers continued to receive uniform and meals at no personal expense. In a way they had the better deal but did not receive a commission which was the end goal. However, most received their commission at a later date. While a Flight Officer they had access to both Enlisted and Officer facilities. There was a difference in monthly income of the two ranks but I don't remember what it was. I should note the commissions received were temporary. Had I remained in the Air Force at time of discharge it would have changed to permanent status.

Last edited:
In Vietnam I was issued heavy cotton duck canvas OD Green BDUs with a large bright white name patch and a bright yellow ARMY patch not to mention colored rank and unit patches and a nice pair of heavy leather combat boots.
NOTHING in Vietnam is OD Green. I might as well have been wearing Blaze Orange. In a country that SQUISHED when you stepped on it there were NO drainage holes in the boots and the leather soaked up water like a sponge. Mold and fungus appeared in less than a day and they rotted in less than a month.
The Army in its infinite wisdom did not approve nor would issue ANY type of cammo gear. Many sent letters home asking for relatives to buy and send the old "Duck Hunter" cammo gear to them. We bought our own Tiger Stripe BDUs through the Mercs and were constantly harassed about wearing them.
The Army did not approve of shotguns we had to buy several on the black market.
The original ARs only came with 20-round mags though 30-round were available on the civilian market. So we bought our own mags too

In Vietnam I was issued heavy cotton duck canvas OD Green BDUs with a large bright white name patch and a bright yellow ARMY patch not to mention colored rank and unit patches and a nice pair of heavy leather combat boots.
NOTHING in Vietnam is OD Green. I might as well have been wearing Blaze Orange. In a country that SQUISHED when you stepped on it there were NO drainage holes in the boots and the leather soaked up water like a sponge. Mold and fungus appeared in less than a day and they rotted in less than a month.
The Army in its infinite wisdom did not approve nor would issue ANY type of cammo gear. Many sent letters home asking for relatives to buy and send the old "Duck Hunter" cammo gear to them. We bought our own Tiger Stripe BDUs through the Mercs and were constantly harassed about wearing them.
The Army did not approve of shotguns we had to buy several on the black market.
The original ARs only came with 20-round mags though 30-round were available on the civilian market. So we bought our own mags too
Really sounds like tough duty. Surprised you didn't receive proper clothing etc.

Later on, US soldiers in Vietnam began to be issued jungle combat boots (Amazon product ASIN B01B6SF1Y4View: https://www.amazon.com/Military-Vietnam-Weather-Jungle-Combat/dp/B01B6SF1Y4
), with nylon-canvas uppers and drain vents and a steel plate in the sole for anti-pungi stick protection*.

The camouflage Battle Dress Uniform (BDU), with a four-color pattern developed by the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Laboratory (ERDL) in 1948, saw limited use in the Army in Vietnam. US Marines also began receiving the early camouflage utilities (with multiple pockets etc).

When I went into the USMC in 1981 there were still a few people with the Vietnam cammies - they were officially banned in 1983. We were issued the Poplin pattern - thin cloth and pockets with pleats that frequently caught and tore. When the Woodland BDUs (with thicker fabric, doubled knees, elbows, & crotch, and much better-designed pocket pleats) were issued in 1984 we were much happier- especially since the doubled fabric areas made it impossible to iron in creases, so we didn't have to do that any more.

* I used to buy them at the local surplus store in the late 1970s, and wear them to high school.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Interesting stuff guys!

You'd have thought they would have provided something environment appropriate colours wise but then they'd would have required fore thought and someone visiting to see what it was like...

then they'd would have required fore thought
Shirley you Jest. This is the US ARMY/MILITARY we're talking about:
Let's start with the top of the top the $1.5 TRILLION dollar Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning. Started in 1996 it has and is a black-hole of technical problems that by the time they were fixed were obsolete. After 22 years and $1.5 trillion it still can barely land on a carrier, seldom wins a dogfight, is not reliable, and can't fly anywhere near actual lightning

Strategic Defense Initiative - $150 Billion – Right after Reagan's "Evil Empire" speech the military began to develop this space-based system of satellites to shoot down any nuclear missiles aimed at the US. The whole system was dependant on non-existent technology that was totally theoretical and never developed.

Rockwell's B-1 Lancer - $1 Billion per plane – Begun in 1972 to replace the old B-52s it was plagued by technical problems and was cancelled in 1977 after 4 prototypes were built. The program was resurrected by Reagan and after spending another $100 Billion we had 100 aircraft. They couldn't fly in the Gulf war since the engines didn't work. Finally in 1998 it dropped its first bombs on Iraq.

MX – Missile - $25 Billion – Another '70s project the LGM-118 was a land based ICBM meant to carry 10 nuclear warheads of 300 kilotons each. The program was cancelled and restarted several times as it was plagued by massive delays and cost over-runs. The finished missiles were very difficult to maintain and very costly to build and no one knew where to deploy them. After $25 Billion we had 114 of them. They were removed from service in 2003

Project Nike - $30 Billion – Cold War fears of Soviet bombers over the US lead to Project Nike. Batteries of these anti-aircraft missiles were to be deployed around all major cities, military installations, and industrial complexes. Meanwhile the Soviets were phasing out manned bombers. None were ever fired.

Future Combat System - $19 Billion – begun in 1999 this was to be an integrated system of combat vehicles that would dominate any battlefield. Then came 9-11 and the Gulf Wars. As always massive cost-overruns and technical problems sent costs sky-high. Cancelled in 2009 we have 8 prototypes.

Joint Tactical Radio System - $17 Billion – Beginning in 1997 the Army spent $6 billion to develop digital radios for the battlefield. Then they cancelled it, then they restarted it only to again cancel it in 2012. While waiting for the JTRS the Army had to purchase $11 billion worth of interim radios that will need to be replaced.

Zumwalt Class Destroyer - $3 Billion per ship – A stealth guided-missile destroyer it was to replace our aging destroyers. As always massive cost over runs and technical problems caused the initial 32 ship order to be cut to 10 then only 3. They are so costly that the Navy is afraid to use them in combat.

Boeing-Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche - $7 Billion – This was going to be the Army's one-size-fits-all helo that was going to replace all other helos. Difficult to fly and maneuver it literally had problems just getting off the ground. After $7 billion we have two prototypes.

M-247 Sergeant York - $6 Billion – Meant to be the US version of Soviet mobile anti-aircraft guns the M-247 was to have two 40mm cannons in a radar guided turret. The Army could not agree on a design nor what guns to use. The radar systems never worked properly and could not tell helos from trees. When presented to the Army the tank's radar mistook a reviewing stand for a target almost killing several observers.

Airborne Laser - $5 Billion – Starting in 1996 the Air Force began to develop the ABL as part of its missile defense system. An old 747 was fitted with a chemical oxide iodine laser that actually fired. As always cost over runs and technology issues caused the project to be cancelled in 2011. After $5 billion the project had no military value.

Army Combat Uniform - $5 Billion – The Army wanted a camouflage uniform that would work in any environment. After $5 billion the ACU was developed in 2004. Universally hated and so ineffective that combat troops refused to wear it. Replacement had to be purchased while a new pattern was developed. In 2014 the new OCP pattern was unveiled. It was actually an old pattern that had been rejected for the ACU.

Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle – $3.3 Billion – In 1987 the Marines wanted to develop an amphibious assault vehicle capable of carrying a Marine rifle squad from ship to shore. With guided-missile ships the EFV was obsolete before it was built. Cost over runs, delays, and Congress cancelled the program in 2011.

XM-2001 Crusader - $2 Billion – The Crusader was to be the Army's lighter, faster, more accurate, and powerful mobile artillery vehicle. It turned out to be neither very mobile or fast nor was the cannon very accurate. Cancelled in 2002.

Expeditionary Combat Support System - $1 Billion – The ECSS was an Air Force project designed to replace over 200 separate computer systems with one integrated system. As always cost over runs, organizational problems, chronic mismanagement, lack of priorities, and crippling personnel turnover doomed the project after seven years. It was cancelled in 2012.

I was there in 71, by then flight crew wore Nomex, and no jungle boots allowed. The nylon side panels weren't what you'd want on you feet in a fire.
By then the Army had come out with a acceptable camouflage uniform, but there weren't enough available.
The troops patrolling in the jungle would go through uniforms quick, humid conditions, and washed by mamasans washing them on the riverside by wringing them out and pounding them on rocks, pretty rough on the cloth.
So most field troops would be in the conventional OD jungle fatigues, while the rear area commandos was in starched camos.
Since I was flight crew, I couldn't wear camo, since it didn't come in Nomex, and they were pretty hot on us about wearing it during all flight operations. Sleaves not rolled up, gloves, full leather boots. It was for our own good really, much safer in a fire.

But the injustice with the camouflage turned me against it, I won't even wear it to this day, unless I'm hunting. Then with the blaze orange you've got to wear when deer hunting I usually don't bother with camo then either.

Generally speaking at base camps local women looking to earn cash money did the general housekeeping tasks like washing BDUs. The Tiger cammos came from Indonesia and we paid out-of-pocket for them. They used vegetable-type dyes which faded with every wash and eventually they were no longer cammo.
Lastly just to give you an idea of what constantly wet feet in leather boots look like-
num1hoochmaid.jpg
Washermaids.jpg
htchmaid.jpg
bootfeet.jpg

I have not seen any AAF uniform costs but the page below is for USN aviators in 1943 according to the person who supplied it. I can see $500 disappearing quite quickly

View attachment 511673
Thanks for sharing. It took every cent to complete the Summer and Winter attire, all quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back