Unique markings on P-51 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
I noticed this at our local historical society website, apparently the schoolkids of St Louis (or more likely their parents) managed to collect enough money to buy a P-51 in November 1943. I wonder what became of it? I'm putting it here because the dedication on the nose qualifies (in my mind anyway) as "markings."
1648422239925.png

In one of the Mustang-centric aviation groups that I am a member of, some time back one of the other members posted about finding a collection of a number of photos of the same P-51B Mustang, and posted up a number of the photos he had found. It is the same Mustang in each photo, same angle, same objects in the background, slight difference in angle of lighting as the photo session progressed during the day or over a couple of days. The difference in each photo, was the name of the "purchasers" or "sponsors" of the purchase of a Mustang for the USAAF on the nose. Of note, the aircraft serial number is not evident in any of the photos, so the actual identity of the aircraft used in the photos is not known. Each of the photos has the name on the same slightly darker and glossier panel using the same style and fonts - might hint at some form of decal being used to apply the name to the panel. The basic concensus was that a number of groups were to be recognised as "purchasers" or "sponsors" and to help recognise that, and also spur on further fund raising all were provided with a photograph of "their" aircraft. A copy of the photo was also provided to local press for publication to also spur on further fund raising for the purchase of aircraft.

An item to note is the 'nose high' attitude of the aircraft, compare to the other P-51B in in Wurger's response #7. Typical stance with a P-51 fresh off the production line, empty tanks, oleos fully pumped up and pre its first test flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back