Unknown aircraft part numbers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dwayneski

Airman
Mar 26, 2016
Netherlands
Hi all,

I have a few German aircraft parts in my collection. I still do not know to which aircraft these parts belong. On the internet I found that the R8 prefix is usually followed by the aircraft type number. There is one part with R8 88.942-?023 (I cannot read the letter/number where the question mark is), which could be part of a Ju88. But there is another part with R8-2818.

Other finds on the crashsite include a part with the Werknummer (unfortunatly I can only identify the first two numbers, 24..), 13mm MG131 ammunition, 20mm ammunition. Some parts are marked with marks for Argus. I also have some parts from cockpit dials, painted blue with the text 'Aus'. And does anyone know what the rubber part is? I found more of these rubber handles, and a lot of unidentifiable rubber.

I unfortunately cant find out which aircraft this is. It is very important for my research. Can anyone help me out? If you guys need better pictures or pictures of more parts, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

DSC0004.jpg
photo share

DSC0042.jpg

DSC0043.jpg

DSC0050.jpg

DSC0052.jpg

DSC0057.jpg

DSC0066.jpg

DSC0069.jpg

Interesting...the only armed aircraft that I can think of, that used Argus engines would be either the Fw189 (but it was armed with 7.92 MG15 weapons) or the Ar96, which only had one 7.92 MG17.

There is one other consideration, and that would be the early Hs129. It was powered by two Argus As410 engines and armed with two 7.92 MG17 plus two 20mm MG151/20 cannon.

Quite odd, really, since the MG131 ammunition is in the mix.

Is it possible that you may have a dumpsite instead of a crash site?

For example, at a Luftwaffe base, they tossed a great deal of items as well as many aircraft were destroyed where they sat during bombing & strafing attacks.

After the war, many Luftwaffe aircraft were lumped together, crushed and buried if they weren't scrapped out for recycling.

Hello Graugeist,

Thanks for your reply! I am sure it is not a dump site. The parts where found around and in a impact crater in the middle of nowhere (forest). The nearest airport (Fliegerhorst) was 20km further and the other crashes in the vicinity are all RAF. I think the Argus part is a type of check valve for the hydraulics, so maybe not from the engine (see the image below).

The armament is also a question for me. I know the Messerschmitt Bf 190 and the Focke Wulf Fw 190 could have both MG131 and 20mm guns, but since I found a part which would indicate that the aircraft could be a Ju88 I was wondering if there were any types of Ju88 that could carry both weapons. But I could not find anything about that yet.

DSC0007.jpg
screen shot

Hello Snautzer01,

Thank you for your reply. I had another close look at the blue dial, and it does say 'Saur...', in stead of Aus, so must be Sauerstoff indeed. Do you know where these parts where located? I also have a small red sign with text. I can read: 'Strich' and maybe 'Achtung' at the top. Maybe it can help ID the aircraft. I also included some more pictures from parts. Like a piece of bakelite or presstoff with the text 'Vorl...' and some engine pieces (valve, wiring for the sparkplug?).

DSC0019.jpg

DSC0011.jpg

DSC0022.jpg

DSC0002.jpg

Ok, I understood the Argus parts to belong to an engine. Too bad, really, as that would helped narrow it down.

Regarding the 13mm and 20mm, there were several mutli-engine types equipped with the MG131 along with the cannon (typically the MG151/20).

Here's some types known to have that combination of armament:
BV138B/C
Fw200C
He177A
Hs129B
Ju88A/G
Ju188E
Ju288B (only 7 had the 13mm & 20mm)
Ju388J
Me410A/B

There may be others, but this is a pretty good starting list to work with

Thanks for your reply and the possibilities. I took a look around the website JU88.net and found a lot of pieces that where also found on the crash site. I added a few pictures from the website with parts I found to this post (in the yellow circles and red arrows). Are these types of parts unique to the Ju88, or Junkers in particular, or where they used on multiple 'brands' of aircraft? That would certainly narrow things down. I saw that aircraft like the Messerschmitt 109 had a different type of fuselage, without the 'heavy duty' ribs.

Then the Ju88A/G could be a hit. Do you have any documentation or links about this particular type? I can't seem to find much on the internet.

IMG_3082aangep.jpg

insidefuselageaanep.jpg

interioraug04aangep.jpg

oiltankaangep.jpg

oxygenintake.jpg

Membranlunge m. Dichtsetzkappe - Oxygen regulator
MW 20 ARGUS - Oil pipe

Attachments

• Sauerstoffdusche.gif
    Sauerstoffdusche.gif
    61.3 KB · Views: 214
  • f21t313p994n3.jpg
    f21t313p994n3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • Clip_21.jpg
    Clip_21.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 203
Interesting that you would use Guttorm's photos for reference!

He's a member here and very active in research, rescuing and restoring Ju88s. Last I heard, he he was finishing the restoration of one that the Norwegian Airforce had recovered.

You can try and contact him via his website, though he hasn't been active here or on social media for a few years (and it looks like his website hasn't been updated during this time, either).

Anyway, here's his website: JU88.net

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and help!

@ Woodhaven: So it's an interesting piece!

GrauGeist GrauGeist ; I already contacted him via Facebook, and later via email, and did send him photographs from the pieces. He did not respond to the pictures yet tho, but he said forward firing 2cm guns and 13mm armament where common on late-war night fighters.

I see a part with R8 followed by 88 and some other numbers thats your proof it is a Ju-88.
see my fac4ebook site: Factory stamps ww2 aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back