Unknown flap or airplane aileron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A question though ... what is a shape of the airfoil seen from the side where the pipe protruding? Is that the symmetrical airfoil (A) or not symmetrical one (B) ?

profil1.jpg

This looks more like a small aircraft's rudder or elevator to me. Has a torque tube, which is typical for both (and especially elevators), a ground-adjustable tab, and that large rib at the end to me looks like the bottom of a horn-balance.

Example:
1695224940153.jpeg

Edit: is that big metal rib at the end of the assembly fixed to it or can it rotate independent of the rest of the part?

A small comment about the fasteners. That type nut/fastener was used on our business machines (late 40s through my retirement 1989) and the screw used in them was a blunt tip sheet metal type screw. While sufficient for office machine panels, I'm not sure if they have been used on aircraft panels. From the pictures, they appear to be identical to samples I still have and are U.S. made. Could the flap be from a homebuilt?

This looks more like a small aircraft's rudder or elevator to me. Has a torque tube, which is typical for both (and especially elevators), a ground-adjustable tab, and that large rib at the end to me looks like the bottom of a horn-balance.

Example:
View attachment 738066

Edit: is that big metal rib at the end of the assembly fixed to it or can it rotate independent of the rest of the part?

Therefore I have asked abot the shape of the airfoil there. Because it may be an aileron as well.

And the metal rib is fixed as you may notice in the pic below.
rot.jpg

The only movable piece is the part protruding form the slot between the rib and the flap. IMHO that's a hinge that could be screwed to the rear spar/stringer of the stabilizer/fin or wing.
rot1.jpg

One point more the part is nothing more but the con.

Is this electrical wiring? If so, most likely a rudder component. I can't think of any examples of electrical wiring going thru an aileron in WWII.
Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 5.01.25 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back