Unknown fuselage part (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sune Langdal

Recruit
Nov 21, 2007
I got this fuselage panel from a friend. He wrenched it off an aircraft lying discarded somewhere on the Danish Army's training grounds at Oksboel. He couldn't tell me much about the aircraft other than it must be a jet, since it was
"kinda tubular".. My guess is F-84, F-100 og F-104, since the RDAF operated these. The holes are from rifle caliber bullets, so maybe it has been used as target practise. Does anybody know which aircraft type it belongs to?

Attachments

• PB250052.JPG
    PB250052.JPG
    494.6 KB · Views: 126
  • PB250053.JPG
    PB250053.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 184
Just below the inspaction hatch are a few, grouped together; in a circle ANA T84, above that 165 31062 and above that ASSEM. To the left of this group is printed 479 in slightly larger numbers. Any clues? I can post a closeup if necessary..

From what you're telling me it seems that might be an F-86D part. Does the stamp look like this?

image375.gif

F-86Ds had part number prefixes 164,165,173,177,190,201

It looks exactly like that :p What does it mean? Do you know where the panel was
situated?
That's an acceptance stamp from North American Aviation. An inspector will put that on the part to indicate it has been inspected.

I'm guessing that the 479 is the panel number. If you could find an F-86D panel chart or even a very detailed decal sheet for an F-86D you might be able to find out where it went. I'll do some more research and let you know what I find.

Damn FlyBoyJ you're pretty good! I remember, from my youth, an aviation magazine that had a segment in it called "Identify This Airplane". They would show a closeup of a scoop or a hatch or something and you'd have to guess the plane. I could usually I.D. 90% of the planes but this is beyond that!

Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back