US military banks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Acheron

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2019
Question to the Americans here, I recently learnt about the Navy Federal Credit Union. Now, I am not surprise that the navy has its own bank, open of course to all branches, what surprised me is that I can only fin one other bank, the Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Personally, I would have assumed every branch to have their own bank out of pride, is there really no US Army nor (especially pertinent here I guess) US Air Force bank?

Question to the Americans here, I recently learnt about the Navy Federal Credit Union. Now, I am not surprise that the navy has its own bank, open of course to all branches, what surprised me is that I can only fin one other bank, the Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Personally, I would have assumed every branch to have their own bank out of pride, is there really no US Army nor (especially pertinent here I guess) US Air Force bank?

When I was in the USAF, each AF base had its own credit union. I was a member at Carswell FCU.

When I was in the USAF, each AF base had its own credit union. I was a member at Carswell FCU.
When I was in the US Army '60 t0 '63, there was no "bank" as such run by the Army. In Germany we had American Express offices on post but they were private banks and allowed there as a convenience for the troops. American Express had a monopoly there and knew it so their customer service was terrible. I vowed to never deal with that company again and I haven't!

When I was in the US Army '60 t0 '63, there was no "bank" as such run by the Army. In Germany we had American Express offices on post but they were private banks and allowed there as a convenience for the troops. American Express had a monopoly there and knew it so their customer service was terrible. I vowed to never deal with that company again and I haven't!

None of these FCUs are run by the military, including NFCU. They are shareholder-owned.

I didn't realize that. Your English is so good that I took your "really?" as sarcasm. I offer in turn my own apology.
No need to apologize but thanks for the compliment.! :happy:

I wonder, can it be, that these "military" banks nowadays are pretty normal banks (or credit unions or whatever) but that they were more specialized to service military personal? I mean, nowadays, thanks to computers, wiring money is (usually) rather easy around the globe, but I wonder how much of a hassle that was a couple of decades back?

No need to apologize but thanks for the compliment.! :happy:

I wonder, can it be, that these "military" banks nowadays are pretty normal banks (or credit unions or whatever) but that they were more specialized to service military personal? I mean, nowadays, thanks to computers, wiring money is (usually) rather easy around the globe, but I wonder how much of a hassle that was a couple of decades back?

When I was in, 30 years ago, there were no Air Force bases near my hometown, but there were -- and still are -- two big Navy bases. I could use their ATMs with no service fees, cash checks as if I were at my own CU, and so forth. This meant that I could go anywhere in the world and so long as there was some American installation with any of the military CUs, I could get cash easily.

This is in addition to having the standard agreements with the local non-military CU association. I much prefer credit unions of any stripe to banks. The major American banks are riven with corruption, and I've had bad experiences with them.

When I was in, 30 years ago, there were no Air Force bases near my hometown, but there were -- and still are -- two big Navy bases. I could use their ATMs with no service fees, cash checks as if I were at my own CU, and so forth. This meant that I could go anywhere in the world and so long as there was some American installation with any of the military CUs, I could get cash easily.

This is in addition to having the standard agreements with the local non-military CU association. I much prefer credit unions of any stripe to banks. The major American banks are riven with corruption, and I've had bad experiences with them.
Of course, "30 years ago" ain't what it used to be, that's already post-cold war. :D Time sure flys by. But glad that the military branches are cooperating there and not making things difficult out of pride and spite.

Every time there is a state occasion in London like a funeral or wedding, it is mentioned which regiments are allowed to bear arms and march in London and thoe that need permission. This goes back to days when an uprising by the army was a possibility. There were very sound reasons in the past for an army not to have its own bank, whether the US army is allowed one today is one thing, I am sure that in the past they wouldnt have been allowed, it is so much easier to set up your own state when you have your own bank to start with.

During my time in the USMC in the 1980s, every base I was on - from USMC bases to USN to USAF (and post-1990) - had both a "Credit Union for Service-members"* and a branch of some civilian bank (usually one with local branches off-base) located on the base.
You were with the USMC? Recently talked about these military banks with my ex-navy friend and I wonder, who do you thin makes the most jokes about the USMC? My friend thought the navy followed by the army, though he wondered where the marines themselves would rank.

Well - it depends on the nature of the jokes.

We tended to not take ourselves too seriously - although we never let the Chair Farce Zoomies or the Army ants get away with much stuff.

Then there are the squiddlies - not bad as chauffeurs/uber for Jarheads, but the way they sway while marching! ;)

Q-Marines.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back