US Navy markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rocky

Recruit
Nov 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi folks, I'm new here, and WW II is not my forte. I'm much better informed about modern military aviation. I have a basic qustion: How did US Navy aircraft markings change over WW II? When did they drop the red dot in the roundel? When did the bar get added? Overall dark blue color vs three tone?

Hi,
from memory the red dot was deleted in may 42, leaving only the blue roundel with a white star inside. In july 43 the bars were added with red contour around, but it was dropped before the end of 1943, when it became blue. Night fighters had some differences.
HTh
Max

Hi,
from memory the red dot was deleted in may 42, leaving only the blue roundel with a white star inside. In july 43 the bars were added with red contour around, but it was dropped before the end of 1943, when it became blue. Night fighters had some differences.
HTh
Max
Most US Navy and USMC squadrons dropped the red dot before the end of December 1941. If you were flying a military around any bases, with nervous, trigger happy, gunner, the last thing you would want is a bright red ball on your aircraft. There was several incidents, where US aircraft were shot at just for having that red ball, and some were even shot down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back