USAF fighter test

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How do you figure? I'd say that the "average" American male was taller 60 years ago because of the tremendous nunbers of Hispanics and Asians that have immigrated here since then.

You'd be wrong Jank. Americans were on average in the 5'1" range in the 1800s. Scientists claim that this is directly related to protein intake. If I recall correctly, American males are on average 5'9" today. Perhaps 5'1" is too low, but likely not by much.

Have you ever been in an historical house from the 1700s-1800s? Man that's tight!

Indeed.

One thing that surprised me was the cramped cockpit of the P-47. Evaluations of these same aircraft in the Joint Fighter Conference indicated that the cockpit was quite spacious, thereby helping to alleviate the problems associated with long missions.

You don't really need all that much room in the cockpit - it doesn't seem all that bad. Actually looks pretty comfortable.

With all due respect. In WWII, the average American man was not 5'5" tall as stated by you.

From the early 60's through to 2000 (a 40 year period), the average height for men grew just one inch. The height went from 5'8" to 5'9". You are asking us to believe that in the previous just twenty years (1940's to 60's), the height had grown 3" (three times the amount in half the time) from 5'5" to 5'8".

"Men's average height increased from 5 feet 8 inches in the early 1960s to 5 feet 9 inches in 1999-2002."

USATODAY.com - Americans growing taller and wider

LiveScience.com - Four-Decade Study: Americans Taller, Fatter

I have also read of one pilot's comments (I don't recall where) that the P-47's cockpit was so big that you could run around inside to dodge your opponents bullets.

With all due respect. In WWII, the average American man was not 5'5" tall as stated by you.

From the early 60's through to 2000 (a 40 year period), the average height for men grew just one inch. The height went from 5'8" to 5'9". You are asking us to believe that in the previous just twenty years (1940's to 60's), the height had grown 3" (three times the amount in half the time) from 5'5" to 5'8".

"Men's average height increased from 5 feet 8 inches in the early 1960s to 5 feet 9 inches in 1999-2002."

USATODAY.com - Americans growing taller and wider

LiveScience.com - Four-Decade Study: Americans Taller, Fatter

I stand corrected, Jank. This is becoming my best feature.

jeez for people that eat so much of it you're not very trusting of beef are you? maybe you're becoming bigger because you eat so much?

Lanc! lol I lived in UK '97-2000, and I know that you lot eat beef and dairy like no one else on the planet! :) Mighty good beef too.

I also remember a TV program called "Tourist Trap". In the program they did blind tests on beer consumption of tourists from Japan, Germany, US, and England at a Turkish resort. The English consumed something like 2 times as much as the next closest group (the Americans). You've been touring again? :)

We are gonna get slapped now for going off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back