V-1 Information (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
I do not believe I have previously provided this WWII vintage information on the V-1 Buzz Bomb. It is from Aviation Magazine.

USPulseJet-1.jpg
V-1Design-1.jpg
V-1Design-3.jpg
V-1Design-4.jpg
V-1Design-5.jpg

I do not believe I have previously provided this WWII vintage information on the V-1 Buzz Bomb. It is from Aviation Magazine.

View attachment 659557View attachment 659558View attachment 659559View attachment 659560View attachment 659561
I grew up just outside London in the war. When the engine of a V1 died we all rushed to the shelter. The Germans did not know the engine died before crashing as the fuel pickup was at the back of the tank and starved the engine as it started its dive. A British radio show called Mrs Dale's Diary gave away this information one day and the next week the engines ran until crashing and we lost a couple of minutes to get to the bomb shelter.

One of the more effective British reactions to the V-1 attacks was getting one their captured/defected German spies to report that the missiles were overshooting London, resulting in the Germans pulling back the range settings so that they fell short.

View attachment 659943View attachment 659944
Which was not much fun for those living between the coast and London. However their lower density did reduce damage and casualties. Also made quite a few useful ponds. I recall using an old V1 crater for swimming in the 1960s. Even then, at school, we were being taught to recognise butterfly bombs and not to touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back