Vallejo Model Air Paints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think you're right. Someone told me a long time ago that use the paint brands thinner in sort of a set to avoid any problems. I bought the model air thinner as well. I'm gonna try it on an old kit first.

-Roger

Interesting, do you use them Dwight?

Retarders? I haven't had the need to use them yet so no.

BUT I've been sorely tempted to use them with Model Master Acrylics. That brand is EXCESSIVELY prone to tip clogging - at least for me it is. Drives me freaking crazy. Next time I use the MM paints I am definitely going to give the retarders a try.

I use to work in a hobby shop here in OZ and the sales Rep for Model Master told us not to stock MM acrylics as they were not as good as other acrylic brands because of the rapid drying so the retarder might be a good idea. I use Tamiya acrylic thinners in both Tamiya and Gunze acrylics so I don't think the brand is as important just as long as the thinner is designed for that paint.
Most model acrylic paint is isopropyl alcohol based but normal vallejo paint is water based so I would use the vallejo air thinners first until you work out if the vallejo air range is alcohol based or water based.

hrojicus - Paashe make a gravity feed pot that turns their syphon feed airbrushes into a gravity feed. It looks a little wierd but it works fine. It also fits several of my other cheap airbrushes so it might be worth a try. You can find a picture of them on the paashe web site. Using the gravity feed pot reduced the air pressure required to get the paint out by a lot. Hope this helps

Cheers Switch

I have a few Vallejo colors. I mainly use Tamiya and mess around some with Model Masters.

Vallejo is, in my opinion, just about the best paint out there as far as how even it goes on, how complete the coat is, how durable the paint is (you don't have to immediately seal it), and how rich the color is.

Very easy to brush on with a paint brush. No brush strokes and it comes perfectly thinned. Also doesn't gunk up the bottle I have notices.

I have also sprayed it on. It is very thick and I used something like 30 PSI and shot it right out of the bottle (since it was already thinned) with no thinner or retarder. I didn't have much, if any, trouble cleaning it up.

I can say the metal colors are too thick to paint. Clogged up the brush but good but cleaned alright. Just too thick to get them flowing.

For future Luftwaffe builds I am thinking of using Vallejo colors exclusively. I wasn't there so of course I can't say, but I always thought their RLM colors were what it should look like. Just wished they had a bigger selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back