Variations on Meteor armaments?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattern14

Airman 1st Class
Jul 12, 2013
After reading about the various weapons systems and payloads trialled and used on the Me 262 and Ar 234, I became curious if the Meteor Mk1 or Mk 3 had anything planned or used along the same lines. From what I could gather , 4x20 mm cannon seems to be the extent, so it would be interesting to know if anyone out there has some other info. I'm only interested in WW2 era, nothing post April '45. The German jets used a variety of ordinance; i.e cannons, anti tank, several bomb types, rockets of various descriptions etc, including towing V1's. Pictures would be great if anyone has any of the Meteor fitted with something different.:D

After reading about the various weapons systems and payloads trialled and used on the Me 262 and Ar 234, I became curious if the Meteor Mk1 or Mk 3 had anything planned or used along the same lines. From what I could gather , 4x20 mm cannon seems to be the extent, so it would be interesting to know if anyone out there has some other info. I'm only interested in WW2 era, nothing post April '45. The German jets used a variety of ordinance; i.e cannons, anti tank, several bomb types, rockets of various descriptions etc, including towing V1's. Pictures would be great if anyone has any of the Meteor fitted with something different.:D

AFAIK the Meteor (first called F.9/40) was designed from the outset to have four 20mm Hispanos, and there were no other variations or weapons tested before VE day: the absolute priority was engine development, followed by the airframe.

The Meteor was originally intended for several armament configurations ranging from 6x20mm Hispano MkII using the original 60 round drum magazine to 2 x20mm MkII and 6x.303 there was even a very early proposal for 2x25.4mm Vickers and 4x.303 though I doubt that was ever more than a draughtsmans doodle. The final armament proposal was for 30mm Adens to be fitted though I dont know how many were intended but this was very late in the F8s career and was I think only offered for export versions.

The production armament of 4x20mm MkV is still pretty strong medicine and will do lots of damage the Hispano round was very powerful.

meteor | gloster meteor | 1951 | 0584 | Flight Archive

IIRC at least the early Mk Is had an option for 2 extra hispanos (so 6 altogether) but because the removing of the lowest pair for servicing demanded that one armourer pulled them towards himself with potentially fatal consequences if a mishap happened the lowest pair wasn't installed.

Juha

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was aware of the 6 gun version, and also of the inherant dangers of the set up, but it looks as though the 4 x20mm set up was as good as it got for the WW2 version of the Meteor. Considering their operational use, it appears as though nothing else was really needed, compared to the 262 which was seriously on the back foot and needed what ever could be bolted on. I don't suppose anyone knows of the alleged dogfight that was supposed to have occurred between the Meteor and the FW 190??? I have read about the Meteor being outflown by the Storch, which landed and discharged its crew before being strafed on the ground, but the dice with the Focke Wulf was something I have yet to pin down. Clues anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back