VIP Treatment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
Two weeks before our wedding on April 6, 1945 my wife to be and I drove to South Bend, Indiana to buy my wedding suit, have dinner and take in a movie. On exiting the theater about 10 PM we were confronted with a full blown snow storm. The twenty eight mile trip home was an experience. I helped shovel out a gasoline tank truck with a license plate off the car, stopped at the B&O Railroad Tower along the way to get word to the parents of my girlfriend that we were okay, encountered snow drifts four to six feet deep five miles short of home, returned to the B&O Tower and reported our problem to the dispatcher. I was employed as a telegraph operator and was to work at the Wellsboro, Indiana Crossing Tower at 8 AM but could't get there. They stopped an early morning non stop passenger train to Chicago, IL to pick us up and drop us off so I could replace the operator on duty who had been on the job two shifts. It was a long night but one to remember.
P.S. Rode the work train back to to pick up the car following completion of my shift.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back