Vulcan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Experienced it live, while having a quiet walk in the country in Farndale. Once heard never forgotten, I found it hard to breathe, and it took an age to go away rumbling down the valley and all over Yorkshire.

Experienced it live, while having a quiet walk in the country in Farndale. Once heard never forgotten, I found it hard to breathe, and it took an age to go away rumbling down the valley and all over Yorkshire.
Me too a few times at airshows and was lucky enough to experience it with my daughter in its final year in the air !

I was fortunate to see a Vulcan perform at an airshow in the 80s I think it was. I'd have to check my photo log. It was at Barksdale AFB, Shreveport, Louisiana. The flying was unbelievable, all done at very low altitude. The same sound. Great.

Me too a few times at airshows and was lucky enough to experience it with my daughter in its final year in the air !
I was with my uncle and his wife who may have looked like a pair of "old dears" but he was ex Bomber Command and ROC and because he loved his aeroplanes she did too, they loved every moment of it. At the time it was normal for Phantoms and Jet Provosts to be flying about over the moors and down the valleys, I only saw and heard the Vulcan once.

I was fortunate to see a Vulcan perform at an airshow in the 80s I think it was. I'd have to check my photo log. It was at Barksdale AFB, Shreveport, Louisiana. The flying was unbelievable, all done at very low altitude. The same sound. Great.
A Vulcan pilot said in a documentary about it that without a payload and with minimum crew and fuel (as in at a display) it was a great plane to fly.

Terry and I last saw the Vulcan at little Grandsdon airshow, as it departed we both thought the pilot was going to roll it !
After that there was an announcement "were just going to take a pause for 5 minutes because the Vulcan has stirred up the air so much we need it to settle down before the next display" :lol:

saw two lancasters flying in formation that day too !

And here's the pics showing what Karl meant !!!

LG 101.jpg
LG 102.jpg
LG 103.jpg
LG 104.jpg
LG 105.jpg

It rolled to what looks like 30° or 40° past the vertical (possibly viewing angle error), then rolled level with aplomb, no noticeable dish out. Contrast that with the notorious video of a B52 at Fairchild AFB in 1994 attempting a similar maneuver and augering in. Awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back