Warbird you regret the most that there isn't a single surving example of?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the paper work may have been enourmous in the US. When a prototype was built on contract with US government funds it was invariably government property. After delivery and testing, it was government property. It probably remained a hangar queen until a bureaucrat officer said get it out of here and scrapped.
What surprises me is that there wasn't a foresighted bureaucrat who said "weve paid for all these, lets make a museum of the significant ones" same on the UK side. What happened to the first Mustangs fitted with Merlin engines for example.

Original, production specification NA-73 Mustang Mk.I, NA-83 Mustang Mk.I and NA-91 P-51/Mustang Mk.IA. No examples of the production and in service specification early Allison engined Mustangs remain. The XP-51 at Oshkosh doesn't count as it is different in detail to the NA-73, and the NA-83 and NA-91 have further significant changes. No recorded wrecks or major components of NA-73, NA-83 or NA-91.

For the Bristol Beaufighter, two major projects underway, one with HARS in Australia the other at Duxford in the UK, to return two Beaufighters to airworthy status. Sourcing of a large collection of Bristol Hercules engines and components has moved things along in recent times as lack of suitable engines was the key issue for the two projects. Airframes in both cases are composites, including major components from a number of identifed airframes. Camden Beaufighter is still as it was. There is also a Beaufighter at Australian National Aviation Museum in Moorabbin, Melbourne, that they had in good enough condition to do the occasional engine run, but I believe it has been a couple of years since they last ran the engines.

First Mustangs fitted with Rolls-Royce Merlins in the UK - modified Mustang Mk.I airframes, were all scrapped.

You guys raelly need to expand your horizons further and deeper into the realm of obscurata! Here's my nomination:-
The CAC CA-15 'Kangaroo'
.... I'll leave you to do the 'GOOGLING'!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 49
Original, production specification NA-73 Mustang Mk.I, NA-83 Mustang Mk.I and NA-91 P-51/Mustang Mk.IA. No examples of the production and in service specification early Allison engined Mustangs remain. The XP-51 at Oshkosh doesn't count as it is different in detail to the NA-73, and the NA-83 and NA-91 have further significant changes. No recorded wrecks or major components of NA-73, NA-83 or NA-91.

For the Bristol Beaufighter, two major projects underway, one with HARS in Australia the other at Duxford in the UK, to return two Beaufighters to airworthy status. Sourcing of a large collection of Bristol Hercules engines and components has moved things along in recent times as lack of suitable engines was the key issue for the two projects. Airframes in both cases are composites, including major components from a number of identifed airframes. Camden Beaufighter is still as it was. There is also a Beaufighter at Australian National Aviation Museum in Moorabbin, Melbourne, that they had in good enough condition to do the occasional engine run, but I believe it has been a couple of years since they last ran the engines.

First Mustangs fitted with Rolls-Royce Merlins in the UK - modified Mustang Mk.I airframes, were all scrapped.

There is at least one Allison powered P-51A still flying. I believe its titled Miss Virginia. I saw it in 2017 at the Reno Air Races. It participated in a couple of the early heats.

Any airworthy Napier Sabre powered a/c.
Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
Aichi D3A
Aichi E13A
Mitsubishi G4M

Several early types remain.
An XP-51 is at the Airventure museum in Oshkosh which should count, as it was the start of quite a legacy.
A P-51A is at Yanks Air museum in Chino and one at Fantasy of Flight in Florida.
Also, three A-36As remain (all airworthy).

Several early types remain.
An XP-51 is at the Airventure museum in Oshkosh which should count, as it was the start of quite a legacy.
A P-51A is at Yanks Air museum in Chino and one at Fantasy of Flight in Florida.
Also, three A-36As remain (all airworthy).

And in saying that, those who don't understand the most basic differences between the sub-types of the early Allison engiined Mustangs, it is like saying "we have a Spitfire Mk.V and a Spitfire Mk.IX, so we don't need a Spitfire Mk.I or a Spitfire Mk.II because we have a Mk.V and a Mk.IX". There are no extant examples of the first three Mustangs variants manufactured, being the NA-73, NA-83 and NA-91, being quite different to the P-51A and A-36 in relation to such things as armament, radiator and cooling system configuration - having the earlier moveable radiator intake ramp, plus being built to RAF specifications not USAAF specifications. The XP-51 was noted as being extant, but again, it is an XP - a prototype, a test type, and as such is not representative of the production variants of the earliest Allison Mustangs that were for the first two sub-types (NA-73, NA-83) primarily used by the RAF, and for the third sub variant (NA-91), largely used by the RAF, but also the first Mustang to be used in operational service by the USAAF in the MTO.

There's a bunch of airframes that would be interesting from a "what were the designers thinking", not for any particular historical significance;
P-43
CW-21
P-66
Vought V-143
HE-100
Vickers Venom
Miles M20
The Martin-Baker MB-3 and MB-5
Arado 440
BV-141

EDIT: Not from a "WTF what were you thinking". These aircraft were mostly all in a transitional era and the designers were coping with either new design technologies or new operational concepts.

Last edited:
How about a Heinkel He-119? Now there's a unique aircraft worth saving. An aircraft featuring a clear-nose canopy with the propeller drive shaft right through the middle, seats 3 "volunteers."

The P-43 Lancer was actually an aircraft that raised the bar...it was also the predecessor of the P-47...

Yes, good altitude performance and range, but sod-all armour. Made an OK recce aircraft for its time.

In hindsight more development would have sorted it out, but it was only an interim type pending the P47.

I'd love to see one given that the RAAF had eight of them at one stage as recce aircraft - the P43 was never accepted for frontline service by the USAAF.

BTW, there's a hunt for P43 parts going on in Australia but I don't know of current status:

How about that. I thought the one in Finland "didn't count" as it has parts that look original but non functional. The one in the waters off Midway is still, well, in the waters off Midway.
Thanks GrauGeist for the info. Anyone have pictures of the others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back