Was the B-29 Superfortress a Failure?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keep in mind that the B-29 was perfect for the PTO, even if not used at it's designed altitudes, because of it's ability to carry a substantial load over great distances.

Many of the islands captured from the Japanese that were within suitable bomber range of the home islands, were also within range of Japanese attack - which was why Tinian was a main air base for B-29 operations as it was roughly 1,500 miles from Japan, virtually eliminating the possibility of attack.

You forget weather recon as in WB-29B

About Korea Lemay kept the better bombers for SAC

1666806690628.png

a crew member

1666807044841.png

You forget weather recon as in WB-29B
I said reconnaissance - that can include combat, weather, or ELINT
About Korea Lemay kept the better bombers for SAC

View attachment 691979
He did
And by the early 1950s this was true. Additionally the B-29s were forced to fly at night because of the MiG-15 threat but still managed to drop over 160,000 tons of bombs while losing 20 aircraft in combat. I know other Korean War veterans who flew in the B-29 who felt differently.

Little known B-29 fact: The $3 billion cost of design and production (equivalent to $45 billion today), far exceeding the $1.9 billion cost of the Manhattan Project, made the B-29 program the most expensive of the war.
I believe the Norden bombsight was the third most expensive program in the war. So Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a confluence of the three most expensive weapons programs of the war.

A slight B-29 thread drift. In the late 50s, the youth pastor at our church had been a tail gunner on a B-29 during Korea. He said the MiGs would lob cannon shells from out of range of his .50s and be gone before he could return fire. He often could not track the MiG fast enough to fire. He said he promised God if he came back he would serve God. He came back, told his wife he was going to become a minister, she divorced him. He had four boys and I never took the chance to ask why they allowed him in combat with four sons.

A slight B-29 thread drift. In the late 50s, the youth pastor at our church had been a tail gunner on a B-29 during Korea. He said the MiGs would lob cannon shells from out of range of his .50s and be gone before he could return fire. He often could not track the MiG fast enough to fire. He said he promised God if he came back he would serve God. He came back, told his wife he was going to become a minister, she divorced him. He had four boys and I never took the chance to ask why they allowed him in combat with four sons.
My uncle Bill went though the same thing. I spoke about him on here several times. Flew ELINT missions in RB-29s an RB-50. I think he was in the 91st SRS. He became a minister as well, his wife stayed by his side until he passed away about 20 years ago.

1666828426775.png

Chief loved his -29 for 57 missions. The 58th saw him and his crew (he was the flight engineer) floating in the Yellow Sea for 14 hours before rescue. Shot down by flak, he still praised the bomber's ability to get them out of DPRK airspace so they didn't get tortured etc.

It was far and away the most capable bomber in production in the 40s, and holding the jet-stream against it isn't really apt, as any bomber flying >25,000 ft over Japan would have experienced the exact same results dropping dumb iron bombs or incendiaries -- and in 1944-45 no other bomber could do anything close to hauling ten tons of bombs 1500 miles and return to base.

Last edited:
I can see Snautzer01 Snautzer01 point, and in fact can agree with it as well, after all, it WAS a high attitude design so natural phenomenon like the Jet Stream should be counted in the mix. That the U.S.A.A.F. adjusted to it and succeeded however, should also be added in.

As an aside, my uncle few a dozen night time Empire strikes, he never really talked about it no matter how much I pestered him as a kid. When I got a copy of his wartime diary I can see why. When he got back from the war he went a different route than theology as he opened a bar. His last one was about 1972 and was really nice, he was "that uncle", the one that gave you your first beer, would slip you $5.00 or more in your shirt pocket just for being there, etc... yeah, I miss him greatly.

I was reading through his diary a while back but stopped when I got to the part about fire bombing missions...

Low altitude, incendiary attacks. He writes about the mechs picking burned plywood and even newspapers out of the nacelles, but the real one that stuck was how they were all nauseated by the smell of burning human flesh. In an instant it dawned on me that in all the parties and open house type stuff at his bar, never once was there a cookout.

He had a love/hate relationship with the B-29, in the few times I could get him to talk he praised it's toughness (I believe that's the "Love" part). But he wouldn't even look at photo's of it and really, I believe carried around a lot of guilt in his later years.

I'll stop now, sorry for the dissertation, he was a pretty special guy to me if you couldn't tell and if I keep on, well let's just say my tear ducts work.

Little known B-29 fact: The $3 billion cost of design and production (equivalent to $45 billion today), far exceeding the $1.9 billion cost of the Manhattan Project, made the B-29 program the most expensive of the war.
not even counting lives lost .....I've read that before.....does the 1.9 mil include labor costs?

How about xb-30 ? Boeing jumped the line i read. And boy isnt it pretty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back