Westland Lysander of the REAF, 1939/40 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arvo L. V.

Recruit
Jul 15, 2006
Esteemed forum members;

I note with great interest the following posting,

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/westland-lysander-2154.html

which discusses the transfer of a Westland Lysander from the RAF to the Royal Egyptian Air Force (REAF) - that Lysander being an ex-Estonian contract machine (the Estonian Spitfire and Lysander purchase contracts being cancelled in September of 1939 by London).

I assume that this Lysander is a Mark I aircraft, as Estonia did not order any other type in 1939. Of interest to note is that, as I understand, some of "Estonia's" Mk. I Lysanders were converted/upgraded to Lysander Mk. III's prior to their transfer to Finland by London.

Is it by chance known:

1.) What was the RAF s/n of this "Estonian" Lysander prior to its transfer to the REAF?
2.) What s/n did this "Estonian" Lysander carry while serving with the REAF?
3.) What is known re the operational career of this "Estonian" Lysander while serving with the REAF?

Thank you kindly in advance for any/all assistance efforts.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

Arvo L. V. said:
Esteemed forum members;

I note with great interest the following posting,

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/westland-lysander-2154.html

which discusses the transfer of a Westland Lysander from the RAF to the Royal Egyptian Air Force (REAF) - that Lysander being an ex-Estonian contract machine (the Estonian Spitfire and Lysander purchase contracts being cancelled in September of 1939 by London).

I assume that this Lysander is a Mark I aircraft, as Estonia did not order any other type in 1939. Of interest to note is that, as I understand, some of "Estonia's" Mk. I Lysanders were converted/upgraded to Lysander Mk. III's prior to their transfer to Finland by London.

Is it by chance known:

1.) What was the RAF s/n of this "Estonian" Lysander prior to its transfer to the REAF?
2.) What s/n did this "Estonian" Lysander carry while serving with the REAF?
3.) What is known re the operational career of this "Estonian" Lysander while serving with the REAF?

Thank you kindly in advance for any/all assistance efforts.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

There is a publication called "Small Airforces Observer." I think if you contct them they might be able to help you.

SMALL AIR FORCES OBSERVER

Esteemed Flyboyj;

Thanks for the tip. I have many back-issues of SAFO here, I will go through them and contact SAFO for follow-up information as applicable.

The old "Profile Publications", Nr. 159, 1967 print date, on the Lysander also contains some nuggets I have been able to put to good use. They state that the RAF s/n of my Lysander in question was R-2650 - it then became Y-518 of the REAF.

Again, many thanks. Am most apprecitive of same.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back