Westland Welkin climb rate?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Harry64

Airman
Jul 25, 2009
Porta Westfalica
is the climb rate I read on wiki from 3,850 ft/min (19.58 m/sec) possible for this fighter
`
I ask, because the Welkin had thick wings and that is not particularly favorable for fast climbing, or?

Maybe anyone have other data?

Harry

I don't see that thick wings would be bad for rate of climb. Bad for top speeds at low altitude maybe.
It was designed to be a high altitude interceptor, and that high aspect ratio, thick wing is probably part of the reason for that good rate of climb.

She was designed for high altitude and with those wings would go up like a lift, think U2. A bigger problem would be coming down again, its a guess but the difference between stall speed and VNE was probably closer than you would think. Its a common problem with very high aspect ratio wings

Glider said:
A bigger problem would be coming down again, its a guess but the difference between stall and VNE was probably closer tha you would think. Its a common problem with very high aspect ratio wings
Why is that if I may ask?

A&AEE has 2,715 ft/min at +6.75lb boost and 2850 rpm at low altitudes. (10,020 lb).

Not sure what +9 boost and 3000 rpm would be capable of ...

**EDIT: whoops, this is the Whirlwind, not the Welkin. I got a bit excited about another Whirlwind thread and jumped the gun.

Data Sheet info for Welkin:

Mk.I - 30,000 ft in 12 min
Mk.II - 30,000 ft in 14 min

Last edited:
**EDIT: whoops, this is the Whirlwind, not the Welkin. I got a bit excited about another Whirlwind thread and jumped the gun.

That's exactly what I did! :thumbleft:

A little more on the Welkin's appraisal from Boscombe Down..

Welkin.jpg

The service ceiling of the Welkin is listed in wiki as 44,000 feet. That doesnt seem to be much return for all the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back