What aircraft would this have come from?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jdan

Recruit
Sep 25, 2018
Arizona
I purchased a propeller blade and three binders of photos from a previous neighbor's estate sale many years ago. I knew this neighbor but never asked him specifically about the blade. He was part of the design team and worked for A.O.Smith Corp. One of the binders I have has images of manufacture of this type of blade and is labeled "Photographs of Manufacturing Process SMITHway HOLLOW STEEL PROPELLER BLADES". The blade has an engraving at the tip, "71786" over "SPA-9-200", where the photos describe a serial number would be applied. I was wondering if someone could tell me what aircraft this blade may have been made for, as the photos have captions of the process but do not specify any aircraft. Thanking all in ad
20180925_202053.jpg
20180925_201852.jpg
vance!

According to Hamilton Standard records it was designed for a Northrop P-61C.
Very nice! Thank you very much! I have found several patents the man held for the method of manufacture of this type of blade, but was still at a loss as to what aircraft is souvenir blade was made for. Again, I thank you very much!

According to Hamilton Standard records it was designed for a Northrop P-61C.
Rather coincidental too. My father knew Jack Northrop (maybe met him is more accurate) and, growing up as a child, I remember two of those planes parked for many years at the Santa Barbara CA airport.

Man, that would be cool to hang on the wall.
I agree. My son and daughter-in-law are doing an airplane theme for their infant son's room. And are going to use the blade. My son is even more motivated thanks to the invaluable information James provided and the overall support of this forum. The patents and the original photographs don't hurt either, but wouldn't haven't meant as much not knowing the aircraft. A.O. Smith was polite but not helpful, eventually citing the difficulty of maintaining part information over their 144 years. Trying to come up with a way to display it. It weighs 68 Lbs (what, 38+ kilos) mostly in the base. We are open to suggestions. Again, Thanks to all!

What kind of shape is it in? We're looking for these blades for our Helldiver project. We would be interested in it if you were willing to sell.

Thanks, Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back