What do you think?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F4D

Airman
Sep 20, 2005
Texas
I was reading "U.S. Navy Fighters of WWII" by Barrett Tillman and Robert L. Lawson and found this interesting.

They quote a Grumman test pilot named Corwin "Corky" Meyer with the following comment on the conventional wisdom on the F4U and F6F speed specifications.
" The bent-wing had a different pitot system then we did, and it gave different readings. But I can tell you that flying side by side, the F6 not only had as good a Vmax as the Corsair, it accelerated as well,too."

Then the book says that Grumman found that the F4U's only advantage was 15 to 20 knots faster in "main blower stage" below 5,000 ft.
Otherwise, performance was nearly identical.

So... what do you think?

I agree.

Same engine, same propeller, about the same form drag = same performance.

By the way, the F6F didn't use ram air in the "Main" stage to reduce the chance of carburetor icing when returning form a mission. In service, the F6F had a VERY low instance of carb icing. Not so, the F4U. Ram air caused a drop in carb air temp, and it helped ice form even at 75°F+.

By the way, the F6F didn't use ram air in the "Main" stage to reduce the chance of carburetor icing when returning form a mission. In service, the F6F had a VERY low instance of carb icing. Not so, the F4U. Ram air caused a drop in carb air temp, and it helped ice form even at 75°F+.

I did not know that! Of course you can fill volumes with things I don't know. Thanks!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back