What is the aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bvmarr

Recruit
Jan 16, 2016
I recently came across this photo of my great grand father who was a pilot in WW2. I thought the aircraft looked like a hellcat at first glance but I don't think it is, anyone able to ID the aircraft for me?

image.jpeg

Basic trainer...I would assume that was prior to him flying in the war then, I was told he flew a type of bomber. Wish I had more pictures to look through.

Pilot training will start out the same for all pilots:
Primary or basic trainer, then advanced trainer.

Once they have their required hours in, they then go into the specialized training aspect.

The single engined pilots will go to thier respective specialty school: fighter school, dive bombing, torpedo bombing, etc.

The pilots going to bomber training will advance to a multi-engine trainer like the Beechcraft AT-10 and Lockheed AT-28. Transport pilots also trained in these types as well.

I should have mentioned that the trainer type prefix indicates the trainer type.

PT is Primary Trainer
BT is Basic Trainer
AT is Advanced Trainer

Sorry you don't have more info, but that photo you have is still a great keepsake of your Great Grandfather's service!

I'd say a BT-13. Never saw one with a spinner before. There is an old BT-13 mounted nose down on a mini-market just south of Fresno along Route 41.
I've seen plenty of WWII photos of both Army and Navy Valiants with spinners as well as several surviving aircraft that have them in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back