what kind of plane is this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Wright Flyer was a Canard, or at least had the elevators forward of the wings.
And, if you've ever seen a video of one of the early Wright canards in flight, you wouldn't even think of accusing it of pitch stability. The pilot was constantly sawing at the control stick to thwart its attempts to deviate from equilibrium.
I always thought those old films were funny until I went for a ride in a KR2 homebuilt that had been misrigged by its builder and was negative stable. The guy flying it (a KR2 owner-builder himself and low time pilot) was overwhelmed by its squirrelly handling and got panicky, and I wound up taking over the flying and got us back on the ground at the cost of a broken propeller and two flat tires. Awkward from the right seat in a plane built to be flown only from the left. My dreams of building and flying a KR2 myself came to a screeching halt. Ken Rand was 5'6" tall; I'm 6'5", and this plane had been stretched for its 6'1" builder, but I almost couldn't fit in it. Another lesson learned.

I think the Wright system on the first flyers was just to het the thing in the air with almost zero power.

Still, the Wright Flyer was the most stable aircraft at the time.

LOL

It is possible that your memory is confusing "canard" with "forward-swept wings" such as the Grumman X-29 had. The X-29 was indeed highly unstable and required computer assist, but canards such as the Rutan VariEze are extremely stable.

The X-29 was designed to be unstable, but not because of its forward swept wings.

I believe the F-16 is unstable and requires computers to fly, whereas the F-15 is stable and does not. Both are conventional in configuration.

Canards don't make an aircraft unstable.
No, but they go great with orange sauce.
On the origin of the term, during one of the early flights of the Wright Flyer in France, a gust of wind carried the bird toward a group of newspaper reporters, and as it approached, one of the men shouted, "CANARD,. CANARD", or duck, duck, but the name stuck with the Flyer.

I think the Wright system on the first flyers was just to het the thing in the air with almost zero power.
Having the elevators ahead of the mainwings was a standard theory of the day.
The majority of gliders and experimental types had that configuration.

In modern design, the smaller forewing (canard) serves various purposes, like on the B-1 bomber, to dampen high-speed buffeting.
I was just discussing this the other day with a person who was under the misconception that the SR-71 had canards, which it doesn't, it has "chines".

BTW, I read that planes with canards are unstable in flight and a flight correction computer is needed (even multiple times per second). On the other hand, such planes were built in the pre-computer age. So... what's the truth?
The Draken (AJ-37/J-37) was quite stable and didn't use computer controls at all. Of course, it flew as a delta with elevons, so the canard was essentially static.

The tail in back was one of the ways of getting around the Wright patent. Ailerons, if course, were the main element.
The Wrights saw their patent as much broader in scope than the Patent Office and the courts did.

The Draken (AJ-37/J-37) was quite stable and didn't use computer controls at all. Of course, it flew as a delta with elevons, so the canard was essentially static.
The Draken was the J35, and not actually a canard, more like a "double delta". The canard was the J37 Viggen, and an awesome piece of machinery, besides being the inspiration for several homebuilt designs, most notably Burt Rutan's Vari-Eze and Long-Eze, as well as the Beechcraft Starship.

What you write sounds logical. But I still find it a little hard to believe that this Canard provides stability. This is counterintuitive (but of course science can be counterintuitive). Have you ever seen a boat with a rudder at the front? I will explain with a drawing what "bothers me". We have these two fuselages in a stream of water or a strong stream of air.

Scenario 1 - Sudden, Unexpected Force 1 hits from the side. What will the effect be? I think small. The jet of water will cause the entire structure to return to its original position. In the air, this structure may change the direction of flight, but probably not much.

Scenario 2 - Sudden, Unexpected Force 2 hits from the side. What will the effect be? I think it is small, because this place has the greatest weight and it is difficult to move this place.

Scenario 3 - Sudden, Unexpected Force 3 hits from the side. What will the effect be? I think it is small, because this place has the greatest weight and it is difficult to move this place.

Scenario 4 - Sudden, Unexpected Force 4 hits from the side. What will the effect be? I think tragic, because this place is light and easy to move, and every slight deviation will cause a stream of water or a stream of air to rotate the entire structure.

In my opinion, an airplane like the Curtiss C-46 looks "perfect". Doing it in reverse configuration (wings at the rear, rudder at the front) seems to me ... strange.

Last edited:
I still find it a little hard to believe that this Canard provides stability. This is counterintuitive (but of course science can be counterintuitive). Have you ever seen a boat with a rudder at the front?
No, and canards don't have their rudders at the front either, only their horizontal stabilizers and elevators. The vertical stabilizer is analogous to the feathers on an arrow, since the only force involved is a yaw deflection from streamline flight and the correcting effect of the fin.
With the horizontal stabilizer it's a different scenario, as the eternal tug of war between lift and gravity gets into the act, involving far greater forces than the straightening effect of an arrow's tailfeathers. In a canard, like in a conventional airplane, the Center of Gravity is forward of the Center of Lift. This is desirable, as you want the plane to nose down into a glide in a "power off" and "hands off" condition, rather than pitch up into a stall. In normal flight in a conventional airplane this nose down tendency is balanced by just enough negative lift from the tail to counter the pitch down tendency. This means the main wing must generate enough lift to match the weight PLUS the down force on the tail.
In a canard, the horizontal stabilizer, being forward of the wing, the CoG, and the CoL, counters the pitch down tendency by generating positive lift, thereby relieving the wing of some of its load. This makes for a more efficient flying machine. The canard airfoil is usually set at a slightly higher angle of incidence than the main wing so it will stall first in a high AoA situation, pitching the aircraft down and preventing a main wing stall. If a canard in normal flight is upset by an external force in pitch, either up or down, it will return to equilibrium by the same phugoid oscillation process as a conventional plane. Google "phugoid oscillation".

Users who are viewing this thread