What the F is for...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WARSPITER

Tech Sergeant
Oct 23, 2007
I've never been up on what the different F planes in the modern US military are for.

Could I please have a summary of the main use for the following as it would be useful considering current events ;

F-14
F-15
F-16
F-18
F-22
F-35

Thanks in advance.

I've never been up on what the different F planes in the modern US military are for.

Could I please have a summary of the main use for the following as it would be useful considering current events ;

F-14
F-15
F-16
F-18
F-22
F-35

Thanks in advance.
The F-14 (retired from USN service aboit 15 years ago) was a multi-role fighter/interceptor.

The F-15 (depending in variant) is used in the role of air superiority and multi-role strike operations.

The F-16 is an air superiority fighter with multi-role options.

The F-18 is a land or carrier based fighter or attack (depending on mission needs).

The F-22 is a stealth air superiority fighter that can also perform ground attack as well as a range of electronic warfare.

The F-35 is a stealth multi-role combat platform with a long list of capabilities, but to summarize: air superiority, ground attack , electronic warfare, etc.

Not listed: the F-117, which is still in service (in limited numbers), is a stealth ground attack platform.

The last Air Force Almanac to list the F-117 was 2008. Perhaps we have some hidden along with the B-58s.
They are designated "officially retired", but they are still active.
Various F-117 have been seen at numerous locations over the past six years. Mostly on the west coast with very little, if any, comment by the Air Force.

The last Air Force Almanac to list the F-117 was 2008. Perhaps we have some hidden along with the B-58s.

There are some still maintained in airworthy status for training and test purposes. You head out to Nevada or Southern California you can see them flying occasionally.

There are some still maintained in airworthy status for training and test purposes. You head out to Nevada or Southern California you can see them flying occasionally.

Veeery interesting!
maybe back to TTR where they started.

kermit-the-frog.gif
Say WHAT?

Updated F-117 info. Although the USAF officially retired the F-117 from inventory in 2008 many of the remainder have been used as "trainers" flown by contractors in black, dirty white and grey geometric agressor style camo. Apparently a few were used a drone targets, my guesstimate by reading that some were "disposed of" and the rest were kept airworthy. No less than Popular Mechanics.com reports a NASA F-15D with an unusual sensor pod accompanying an F-117. Another guestimate by them (and myself) is the sensor may be able to detect stealth aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back