To take this thread another direction, as an AF brat in Europe in the '50s, I grew up devouring RAF Flying Review, chock full of WWII aero exploits.
I recall later in the war, Spitfires, Typhoons and Tempests engaged in low altitude armed recon missions, looking for any 'target of opportunity' that moved on roads, rails, rivers and canals, and making passes at airfields, military installations, factories and rail yards along the way.
They emphasized 'hit and run' tactics, relying on surprise and not alerting gunners, so not making a second pass ... several ignoring that, becoming Herman's special guests as a result.
I seem to recall they had a specific name for these sorties, but can't bring it up ... not strafing, flat hatting, but may have had 'beating' in the name.
Any thoughts?
I recall later in the war, Spitfires, Typhoons and Tempests engaged in low altitude armed recon missions, looking for any 'target of opportunity' that moved on roads, rails, rivers and canals, and making passes at airfields, military installations, factories and rail yards along the way.
They emphasized 'hit and run' tactics, relying on surprise and not alerting gunners, so not making a second pass ... several ignoring that, becoming Herman's special guests as a result.
I seem to recall they had a specific name for these sorties, but can't bring it up ... not strafing, flat hatting, but may have had 'beating' in the name.
Any thoughts?
Last edited: