What was the best Italian fighter

Which is best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The post was never edited...I think youre thinking of my Italian planes poll, which sucked...

The Re-2005 was by far the best...

CC, I would agree that the series 5 were the best! I was ooking for a new Pol to write too, this is nice. I would say that the MC 202 would be my pick. It served well and in the numbers that could be seen. The 205, 2005, and G.55 were all small numbers, but would have and did give the P-51 and P-47 fits. As for the DB 605 the Italians had egine problums, that never really helped and getting out of the war early. I wish the Alies would have used more Italan designs or just collected the engineers ;)

Ok, but these panese were produced late and in small numbers.What would be our opinion if the P-51 or F4U were produced in the same numbers? If the MC. 205 or the 2005 were produced in the same quantity and quality as the two US aircraft.

But that is not a true part of this forum? So, I would still go for the 205. Fast and fun. ;)

cheddar cheese said:
The post was never edited...I think youre thinking of my Italian planes poll, which sucked...

The Re-2005 was by far the best...
but unfortunately the Italians had no ability or resources to mass produce

I voted for Re2005, but I think MC205 was an excellent
fighter as well.
Nick

The Germans seemed to think that the Fiat G55 was the best though. They even considerred replacing the Bf-109 with them but they turned out to be too expensive...

I vote for the MC 205. The RE-2005 wasn't available in large numbers (for an Italian fighter). The 205 was at least mentioned in air to air combat, I don;t know about the 2005. BTW, doesn;t anyone question the RE-2005's speed at 2000m, 421?!?

Eagledad

I'voted g-55 couse for germans it was better
It was only slowest than 205 but better in everything else
The speed of the reggiane was 678 km/h only for the use of an original db605 and not the fiat tifone that was rated 100 hp less.
Using the fiat engine it was only 25 km/h faster than g-55.
The g-55 was sturdier than reggiane (who had problems in hi g manouvres) and carrie 100 rounds for each 20 mm gun more than re.2005.
The g-55 impressed german engineers (including kurt tank, fw 190 designer and also a test pilot) for the total absence of vibration in vertical dive.
Ace Adolf Galland personally phone to Herman Goring to tell him that g-55 was the better assis fighter; better than 109g and fw 190.
In other words, maybe the g-55 maibe was not the better plane but sure it was the better weapon.
ciao

Piero
ps: sorry for my english

in febbruary 1943 it was better than 109g and 190a

In December 1942 a technical commission of the Regia Aeronautica was invited by Luftwaffe to test some German aircraft in Rechlin. The visit was part of a joint plan for the standardization of the Axis aircraft production. In the same time some Luftwaffe officers visited Guidonia where they were particularly interested in the performances promised by the Serie 5 plane. On December 9 these impressions were discussed in a Luftwaffe staff meeting and raised the interest of Goering himself. In February 1943 a German test commission was sent in Italy to evaluate the new Italian fighters. The commission was led by Oberst Petersen and was formed by Luftwaffe officers and pilots and by technical personnel, among them the Flugbaumeister Malz. The Germans carried with them also several aircraft included a Fw 190A and a Bf 109G for direct comparison tests in simulated dogfights.

The tests began February 20. The German commission was very impressed by the Italian aircraft, the G.55 in particular. In general, all the Serie 5 fighters were very good at low altitudes, but the G.55 was competitive with its German opponents also in term of speed and climb rate at high altitudes still maintaining superior handling characteristics. The definitive evaluation by the German commission was "excellent" for the G.55, "good" for the Re.2005 and "average" for the C.205. Oberst Petersen defined the G.55 "the best fighter in the Axis" and immediately telegraphed his impressions to Goering. After listening the recommendations of Petersen, Milch and Galland, a meeting held by Goering on February 22 voted to produce the G.55 in Germany

nice aircraft but they also found out it was man hour intensive to manufacture or not enough bang for the buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back