What was the Heinkel He 177's True Speed?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SpicyJuan11

Senior Airman
May 29, 2015
Luxemburg
I came across this thread and I saw two contradictory primary sources for the He 177's max speed. I saw 340 mph (550 kph) and 298 mph (480 kph). Does anyone know what the true top speed for this aircraft was, particularly for the A-5 variant? What was the cruise and max speed for a fully loaded A-5?

I have checked my own secondary references as well and am finding the same contradiction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Isnt the difference between versions with and without flame dampers?
Yes I believe so, but would they account for a 40 mph difference? Besides, I am finding discrepancies within and between Griehl's He 177 book along with other sources.

The 550 km/h seems to be manufacturer's figure, ie. best case possible?
Considering that by 1944 the A-3 and DB 610 had been in "widespread" service for awhile, why would a fantasy figure be used instead of an actual one? I'm not at all saying you're wrong, just trying to understand.

In his appendix, Griehl lists the max speed of the A-1 through A-3/R5 of 298 mph (and cruise speed of 255mph), the A-5/R2 max speed of 273mph (236mph) [I guess this is flame dampeners?], A-5/R7 and A-6/R1 max speed of 323 mph (273 mph), A-7 (DB 610) 336 mph (273 mph).

Last edited:
Considering that by 1944 the A-3 and DB 610 had been in "widespread" service for awhile, why would a fantasy figure be used instead of an actual one?

Used by whom?
For example, we can take a look at I-16 speed figure at English-language Wikipedia, it shows the best I-16 as being faster than Hurricane I, that is not supported by any Russian-language source - not even by the one quoted by them: Shavrov's bible. What Shavrov says on pg. 470 of his 1st tome is that speed achieved by the I-16 Type 24 was 489 km/h at altitude (440 km/h at S/L), against the calculated speed figure of 525 km/h for that version.

Yes I believe so, but would they account for a 40 mph difference? Besides, I am finding discrepancies within and between Griehl's He 177 book along with other sources.
Impossible for me to say, its certainly possible that a best to worst case was 40MPH. Things like fitting a rear mirror to a Spitfire or painting a Mosquito matt black had a much bigger effect than a layman would think possible. In my opinion top speed on such aircraft is purely academic, cruising speeds were most important.

The number could have arisen from two sources. Firstly the Heinkel projected speed estimate when the project was started of 342mph and secondly a stripped down long range reconnaissance version. I can't remember which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back