What's wrong with Downton Abbey (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry,

That's why I said, proto, but not as in 'prototype' but rather as in: "on the way to becoming something" or earliest 'progenitor ' as in "a person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent."

Same with "paleo" as in ancient or 'the earliest incarnation that is not necessarily the thing itself but on the way to becoming the thing.'

I am sure others here can recount the history far better than I, providing an account of the many related preliminary aeronautical developments occurring in the twenties. Apparently the RR Kestrel engine was to make its appearance in 1926 evidently inspired by the Curtiss D-12 used in the CR-3 in 1923. Before that, in 1921, Engineer, Arthur Rowledge had left Napier for RR in 1921 and according to Wikipedia was an important figure in the design of the Kestrel and then the Merlin. Now that DA has introduced motor car racing and Neville Chamberlain, it seem only fair to incorporate (or invent) some dramatic scenario to introduce the earliest foreshadows of the Spit. for example, the Supermarine S4 was built for the 1925 Schneider cup but crashed before the competition began.

I admit to being an aeronautical chauvinist and recognize only aeronautical history as a worthy topic of any twentieth century period drama on TV or in film. I mean, HBO's Boardwalk Empire would have been so much more entertaining if it had included some aircraft. It's a curse really. :(

Supermarine S.4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Foyle's War was a really good series that had occasional treats...for example, there were several episodes with a Spitfire mark V :thumbleft:

But then again, I always look for the automobiles in those shows...the older, the better! :lol:

Apparently the RR Kestrel engine was to make its appearance in 1926 evidently inspired by the Curtiss D-12 used in the CR-3 in 1923.

Yep, Old Crow, you forgot one important step in the evolution process; the Fairey Fox day bomber; the D-12 was imported to the UK and became the Fairey Felix fitted to the Fox: File:Fairey Fox bomber.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

That's where Rolls got hold of the Felix.

I saw one episode of Downton that was filmed at Shuttleworth at Old Warden; there was the Hawker Cygnet in the background.

Hawker Cygnet

"I saw one episode of Downton that was filmed at Shuttleworth at Old Warden; there was the Hawker Cygnet in the background."

Drat! missed that... might have redeemed the 6 maudlin seasons. I would have settled for a flyover of the abbey in a de Havilland DH60 Moth (first flight 22 February 1925)

GG, Saw at least one of those visually gratifying episode of Foyle's War. It provided my annual Spitfire Fix.

GG, Saw at least one of those visually gratifying episode of Foyle's War. It provided my annual Spitfire Fix.
There's also an appearance by another Spitfire, that's not the usual Mark V, I beleive it may be a later Mark.

As far as Downton Abbey goes, I will say that the period vehicles used in the series are always a treat and during the last season, they even show a road race...certainly a great deal of "eye candy" going on there!

pbehn: "Some people have little better to do than scan the backgrounds of historical dramas to show errors. I would have thought the biggest error in all was a film crew and camera recording it all."

There's a very strong case to be made for that sentiment. However, in our house, it's a tradition to watch really bad drama.
Otherwise, I plead guilty to the former intimation.

"Did you spot ALL the mistakes in Poldark
?"

My fondness for the original production (with Robin Ellis) would have made me extra critical but, fortunately or unfortunately, I missed some of the episodes.

"GG: they even show a road race...certainly a great deal of "eye candy" going on there!"

True, the race course and motor racing is good, but, to me, an airstrip on the Abbey's estate would be even better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back