What's wrong with this picture?

I misremembered, Seth makes no mention of it in either video -- but here's a picture verifying that this was a muddled process at times:

View attachment 834869
Is that a 13 on that back crate?

If so, Jan Lucky13 Lucky13 needs to know! :lol:
 
The footage from the exploration of Lexington's shipwreck by Paul Allen's RV Petrel clearly shows the old style national emblem still in use when it was sunk on may 8,1942 on TBDs and F4Fs, including a spectacular F4F from VF-2 with Felix emblem and victories marks.

I think the repainting was ordered fleet-wide in late May 1942, so this may not be pertinent. I also think that well into June 1942, some USN aircraft carried the meatball inside the roundel, because repainting was low on the honey-do list, behind fitting self-sealing tanks, replacing crappy gunsights, and so on.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a picture of Guadalcanal Wildcats sporting the red inside the roundel, myself.
 
Crocodile Dundee?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back